Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T400 2764-CTO Video Driver Issue

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
KingBubba

T400 2764-CTO Video Driver Issue

#1 Post by KingBubba » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 pm

First I'll describe the visual problem and then fill in with what I have tried. This unit is the high resolution model of the T400 line; 1440X900. At that selected resolution The laptop will sometimes be fine for a short time, but most of the time from bootup on the screen displays a disturbing horizontal, angular jitter that is not livable. The jitter moves the screen to the right farther on the bottom than on the top. It manifests an angular jagged triangle along the left side; sort of a jagged tooth affair. A few times dropping the resolution made the jitter stop, but left me with a very fuzzy appearance on the screen, unlike the fine, sharp, crisp appearance that I should be getting, but most of the time it will jitter at whatever resolution I choose until I uninstall the device in device manager.

I have uninstalled the device and chose to delete the software, but when I reboot it will immediately reinstall the Intel driver and once the the driver is loaded and I increase from 800X600 to anything higher, the jitter starts all over again.

What I suspect is that this device requires an ATI Catalyst driver, not an Intel driver. I cannot seem to be able to uninstall the video drivers from the machine so that I can start fresh. I have opened the ATI driver package 7vd610ww.exe and used it to uninstall the driver. I have deleted the folder. I have uninstalled the video device and chosen to delete the driver. I have reinstalled the ATI Catalyst package. No matter what I do, after a reboot, Windows starts the reinstall of the Intel faster than I can make a move to stop it. I do not know where the Intel drivers abide to delete them.

To say the least, I am extremely frustrated because I have seen how great this screen looks on the few occasions that the resolution did not start the jitter. Any help that anyone could throw my way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T400 2764-CTO Video Driver Issue

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:53 pm

Maybe you have switchable graphics, which requires a different driver.
https://users.wfu.edu/yipcw/lenovo/t400/switchable_gfx/
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

KingBubba

Re: T400 2764-CTO Video Driver Issue

#3 Post by KingBubba » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:39 pm

I have read and tried everything describe in the link and all to no avail. The driver issue still exists. Now a new issue has arisen. In the past, I had been able to shift the drive to other T400s and have no issues booting up. Now when this is done the drive acts like a normal windows seven boot, but when it arrives at the desktop the screen is black. I have searched and found no answer to this either. What a puzzlement.