Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

strange beeps when idle

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
gene_s

strange beeps when idle

#1 Post by gene_s » Sat May 20, 2017 1:13 pm

Hi:
My refurb T420 has been doing something strange. When it's been idle for a time, it starts a series of three short beeps, 3-3-3..., sometimes it goes on for while, 3-3-3-3-3-3-..., when it ends, sometimes it's on one beep, or two (so we'll have a pattern like 3-3-3-3-3-3-2). The computer freezes during this time, except for the hard drive which seems very active (a memory dump?).Once that beeping stops, the HD returns to normal, and everything seems fine. Aside from that, the computer boots up fine, and everything else seems normal. This started a couple of weeks ago. I did a memory upgrade (going from 4 to 8 gig), but this seems to have had no effect. Anyone have any ideas?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: strange beeps when idle

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm

Is this W10 or something else?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

gene_s

#3 Post by gene_s » Sat May 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Windows 7, have Malwarebytes and CCleaner, but not too much else installed, at least not anything that could be too terribly buggy.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Is it a hardware or software generated beep(does it sound like all the other beeps like bios beeps)?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

gene_s

#5 Post by gene_s » Sat May 20, 2017 3:12 pm

Beep sound: It does not sound like the harsh (at least to my ears) beeps generated by bios when there's a posting error. Sounds more like something coming from the speaker, although, up down volume control has no effect. It did it a again just now, and again the sequence of 3 ends randomly (this time with a 1 beep). Again, the hard drive spins like mad when this is happening.

thinkpadcollection

#6 Post by thinkpadcollection » Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm

Beep is the from the hard drive dying. Back up your work data *now* and get new hard drive. Trust me. These beeps came from the HD seeking slowly (making that eee noise).

Cheers, thinkpadcollection

gene_s

#7 Post by gene_s » Sun May 21, 2017 8:15 am

thinkpadcollection wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 4:54 pm
Beep is the from the hard drive dying. Back up your work data *now* and get new hard drive. Trust me. These beeps came from the HD seeking slowly (making that eee noise).

Cheers, thinkpadcollection
You sure could be right, even though the sound does not sound like an "eee". It sounds very even and electronically generated thru one of the speakers. However, just now, as soon as I hit the power on button, I heard the dreaded series of beeps. Bios screen came up! It asked me to select a boot sequence. I selected the HD (a WD drive)...and it would not boot. No activity on the HD indicator light either. Tried a few time, and nothing. It kept dumping me back to the boot order choices. I finally gave up and just tried the power on again, and the t420 booted this time ok. I quickly just shut down. I checked msgs here on my trusty t61! Heh. Luckily, I have a very recent backup (Acronis), the t420 is "new" and does not have much on it anyway.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun May 21, 2017 8:38 am

Instead of another HD, I suggest you get a decent SSD.
Your machine will thank you!

gene_s

#9 Post by gene_s » Sun May 21, 2017 6:25 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 8:38 am
Good suggestion. I'll search the forums here for some recommendations.

gene_s

#10 Post by gene_s » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:25 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 8:38 am
I just wanted to post an update. The skinny is I did indeed replace the HD with an SSD, and beeps are gone.

Before this, in order to hear what was happening with the HD, I took the HD cover off. The next time the beeping started, it sounded like it was screaming out of the HD! This seemed to only happen when after the Thinkpad had been on a while, or right after a reboot when it was beeping like crazy).

I purchased a Crucial SSD, initialized and formated the drive in Windows with a Sabrent USB to SDD cable (about US$10), then cloned my old drive (which did not misbehave during the process) with Acronis. After that, inserted the SDD and the puter booted up fine.

Thanx for the help!