problems with microsoft activation by phone invalid characters from bios licence key????

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
Murcielago

problems with microsoft activation by phone invalid characters from bios licence key????

#1 Post by Murcielago » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:27 pm

after installing a new SSD on my t440s I couldn't activate windows because the laptop did not have the licence key sticker on the back and it was downgraded to 7 from factory.

When i called the phone activation, it told me the 6 sets of numbers are invalid,then I spoke to 2 different but equally useless reps who spoke horrible english. 1 simply told me the numbers are invalid and asks me to wait 2-3hrs for a tech guy to call me back to remote access my system since she couldn't (of course she couldn't, she didn't even ask!)

2nd rep was this vietnamese woman who spoke equally horrible english than the first. Tried to explain to her the same thing as the first but all I can hear are mumblings and mangled english. I told her I can't understand her and she said something like " i can no transfer cone. please cone back back" **bleep**? took me a while to understand.

It took me 30mins to explain to them why I don't have the sticker or why I don't have the recovery cds.

later on I finally found 2 softwares to dig up the bios and I found 2 keys, key 1 is labelled windows 7 professional key, key 2 is the windows OEM key.

i tried to enter a key (key1) but it was seen as invalid, I tried entering key 2. but it says there is an invalid character so the key becomes 24 characters instead of 25. turns out the N letter is seen as an invalid letter.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Re: problems with microsoft activation by phone invalid characters from bios licence key????

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 am

T440s would probably have something like this in BIOS: Preinstalled OS License SDK0E50512 Std
That would be for W8 or W8.1
If something like that would be missing, you'd have Slic2.1 for W7 in BIOS and should have a W7 COA sticker (under the battery).
The BIOS does not display a key, you'd find that on your HD/SSD or on the COA if present.

I have activated W7 a few times via telephone, but never spoke to a human, always a machine, which spoke clearly enough.
Usually I install/find Slic2.1 in BIOS and then install W7 from Lenovo W7 recovery disks, which don't need a key.
I never bothered with W8 or W8.1 or W10.

Where and how did you find those keys?
The 'wrong' letter N could perhaps be a H?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Murcielago

Re: problems with microsoft activation by phone invalid characters from bios licence key????

#3 Post by Murcielago » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:11 pm

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 am
T440s would probably have something like this in BIOS: Preinstalled OS License SDK0E50512 Std
That would be for W8 or W8.1
If something like that would be missing, you'd have Slic2.1 for W7 in BIOS and should have a W7 COA sticker (under the battery).
The BIOS does not display a key, you'd find that on your HD/SSD or on the COA if present.

I have activated W7 a few times via telephone, but never spoke to a human, always a machine, which spoke clearly enough.
Usually I install/find Slic2.1 in BIOS and then install W7 from Lenovo W7 recovery disks, which don't need a key.
I never bothered with W8 or W8.1 or W10.

Where and how did you find those keys?
The 'wrong' letter N could perhaps be a H?
it came with win8 but got downgraded to win 7 either from the factory or by me (most likely factory as I have no experience with win 8)
so there;s no sticker whatsoever.

I found the embedded key using produkey and other methods and they all displayed the same cd key.

using that, windows activation tells me there';s invalid character. I've tried every single key by replacing the N but it all says the key is invalid.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Presuming that W7 is where you want to be, I'd suggest obtaining Lenovo recovery media for that generation of laptops and keeping your fingers crossed that nothing goes haywire.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

AARP club members:A31p, T43pSF

Abused daily: T61p

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.