Problems re-loading Win 7 Pro

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
Rockrz
Sophomore Member

Problems re-loading Win 7 Pro

#1 Post by Rockrz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:57 pm

OK, so I got this good deal on a 15in T510 and I always like to re-install Windows (I'm using Win 7 Pro which matches the COA) to control what is on the system.

But this time, when I put in the Windows install disc it shows Windows is loading files and then it just sticks on the starting Windows screen and there is no Windows logo showing up just the black screen with "Starting Windows" in white lettering and © Microsoft Corporation below that.

I never had one do this before and I did check in the BIOS boot order that the CD Rom drive is first and HDD 0 is next followed by HDD 1

Any idea what to try next?

It's a nice laptop in like new condition so I'd like to make it work rather then sending it back...

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Problems re-loading Win 7 Pro

#2 Post by Cigarguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:07 pm

Could have a faulty component. Download and run a live Linux distro. If it's working OK on Linux then it should load Windows. Another problem could be a faulty CD/DVD drive. If both Windows and Linux will not run on the machine then it's time to find out which component is causing the problem.

Rockrz
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Rockrz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 pm

I have other Lenovo laptops so I used a different CD Rom drive that I know is good and that's not it... you can hear it working.

I'm reading from other places on the net and it may be some BIOS setting so I'm exploring that... not interested in loading Linux tho

Rockrz
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by Rockrz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Also, the T510 does accept mSata SSD drives, right?

It has a slot for it so I installed a new 250gig Samsung SSD 850 EVO mSata drive

I guess I could always take that out and put in a regular mechanical drive and see what happens... or I could return it and shop for a different used laptop if this one becomes a hassle.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Cigarguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 pm

Nope these machines are not wired to accept a mSata drive. Only the Tx20 and Tx30 generation are wired to accept mSata.

Cigarguy
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Cigarguy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 pm

You don't need to "load" any Linux. Simply download a distribution of your choice for free. Burn to CD or USB key then try to boot from that. The purpose is to confirm that one or both OS will work or neither will work. It's a diagnostic tool. You don't need to do anything with that distro, matter of fact you don't need to have a HDD install. It's a tool and method that can be very useful.

Rockrz
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Rockrz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:34 pm

OK, I installed a regular mechanical drive and it's doing the same thing.

Since this one cannot accept an mSata drive, I'm going to return it... I'm setting this up for someone and they wanted the speed of an SSD drive

Thanks for the info.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:21 am

Sounds to me as if the HDD doesn't want to play ball.
Has it been initialized? (use Diskmanagement for that).
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Rockrz
Sophomore Member

#9 Post by Rockrz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:31 am

Not sure what was going on as I was originally trying to do a fresh install using a mSata drive... then I tried a regular mechanical drive which had been formatted and was ready to go.

It's all a mute point now that I found out T510s cannot accept mSata drives. I'm sending it back for a refund.

I like to use mSata drives and the C drive and then use a mechanical drive as the second drive for data