Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Troubleshooting: Keyboard stopped working and Windows won't boot past loading screen?

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
astroidea
Freshman Member

Troubleshooting: Keyboard stopped working and Windows won't boot past loading screen?

#1 Post by astroidea » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:26 am

I placed my laptop onto my bed gently and suddenly it shut down. Afterwards, I rebooted. After windows loaded, I get a blank screen instead of my login screen.
I tried going into recovery mode and noticed my keyboard didn't work even though the power button and the trackpoint works. The keyboard doesn't work for going into BIOS either so it's not a software issue. I hooked up an external keyboard and it worked although windows still wouldn't successfully load.

This happened about a week after I took everything apart to replace the thermal paste after I was getting overheating.

I tried reseating the keyboard connector with no help. But what's really baffling to me is the co-occurrence of the keyboard issue and the windows loading issue.

I'm guessing this is a hardware issue. I'm wondering what part I need to replace. I'm guessing either the keyboard or the motherboard.
Last edited by astroidea on Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Troubleshooting: Keyboard stopped working and Windows won't boot past loading screen?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 am

I placed my laptop onto my bed gently
which probably blocked all the vents.
No fresh air coming in, no hot air going out, most likely CPU died from overheating.
Try another CPU (if not soldered) and check that the fan still turns...
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

astroidea
Freshman Member

Re: Troubleshooting: Keyboard stopped working and Windows won't boot past loading screen?

#3 Post by astroidea » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 am

It shut off right when I placed it on the bed so it seems like the shock, however mild, loosened something. It wasn't overheating. I've been really mindful of the temperature especially since I replaced the TIM.

The fan still works and turns on while it's booting. The CPU is soldered, I have the T420S.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:42 am

Maybe HD/SSD 'roaming' without bumpers? If so, correct and reseat.
USB port(s) damaged inside?
CD-drive not quite in?
Keyboard/trackpad connector loose?
LCD-cable fallen out of LCD or loose inside?

astroidea
Freshman Member

#5 Post by astroidea » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 am

Windows still boots. I just get a blank screen right after it loads.
It's weird that the keyboard doesn't work but the trackpad and power button works.

Anyways, I saw a replacement motherboard on ebay for $25 shipped with nvidia graphics. This will be a good reason to upgrade.

astroidea
Freshman Member

#6 Post by astroidea » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 am

The new mobo didn't fix it. But I found out the issue. The lid close sensor was triggering with the lid open. Somehow, when I loosen the screws on the bottom of the thinkpad, the lid close sensor works as it should. I need to find out where the lid close sensor is and figure out why it's activated when there is too much pressure applied to it from the screws.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 am

The magnet sits under the palmrest, near the front, left of the bottom-mouse-keys-opening.
See second picture, the silver square with a cross on it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172884832333
The sensor is inside the lid, near the webcam, matching/opposite of that magnet.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

jaspen-meyer

#8 Post by jaspen-meyer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 am

Quoting the HMM:
Tighten screws as follows:
• Plastic to plastic Turn an additional 90 degrees after the screw head touches the surface of the plastic
part:

• Logic card to plastic Turn an additional 180 degrees after the screw head touches the surface of the
logic card:
T420 i7 3612QM seabios; T420 i7 3630QM; T400 Q9100 seabios; T61 P9600; T60 libreboot; x62; x60s libreboot, led; x24 xiphmont led

astroidea
Freshman Member

#9 Post by astroidea » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:40 pm

I just fixed it. I think it was due to the cable that connects the camera/light/hall sensor not being tucked behind this structure. It instead was resting on top of it which put a lot of pressure on it with the screws tightened.
I also tightened the screws on according to the info by jespen-meyers.