Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420 not wanting to sleep?

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
gfuller
Freshman Member

T420 not wanting to sleep?

#1 Post by gfuller » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:13 am

My T420 has been an excellent workhorse ever since I got it a year and a half ago... no problems - until now.

I noticed yesterday that the computer does not go to sleep when the lid is shut, which it normally did. I thought restarting the system solved the problem as after restarting it managed to go to sleep normally.

But today the problem arose again when I put the computer in its case to go to an event. When I arrived, I noticed that the exterior of the bag was warm. When I opened the bag, the computer was really hot. The computer's battery was only at 1%, suggesting that it had been on the entire time.

I've also noticed that it will not charge the battery like it did. Before, it would charge the battery when plugged in. Now, I have only a 1% charge and the battery will not charge even though it's plugged in and no applications are running.

The battery in this computer is bad, but it would charge and hold a charge for a while on standby. It usually ran about an hour on a full charge, although I've noticed that it's run time has suddenly decreased. (Oddly, I noticed that yesterday when the battery went down from 95% of 80% in a matter of a couple minutes, when it would normally take at least 5 minutes to decrease that much.)

Any ideas on what could be causing it to act up like this?
ThinkPads: T420, T42

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: T420 not wanting to sleep?

#2 Post by MikalE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Don't know what could be causing it, but I had an E530 that did the same thing. It would not go to sleep by closing the lid. Only if you pushed the power button and you had the power management set up for that action. I never did solve that problem.

Never sleep a computer in a bag.

I haven't been to Warrensburg since 2000. Is Hero's still open down on Pine, or Old Barney's on the square ? I used to live in what was called Dellwood Estates back in the mid-'80's when I worked on the Minuteman II weapon system at Whiteman AFB. Had a lot of good times at Old Barney's.

Sorry for the derailment.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS

gfuller
Freshman Member

#3 Post by gfuller » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:17 pm

MikalE wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 pm
Don't know what could be causing it, but I had an E530 that did the same thing. It would not go to sleep by closing the lid. Only if you pushed the power button and you had the power management set up for that action. I never did solve that problem.

Never sleep a computer in a bag.

I haven't been to Warrensburg since 2000. Is Hero's still open down on Pine, or Old Barney's on the square ? I used to live in what was called Dellwood Estates back in the mid-'80's when I worked on the Minuteman II weapon system at Whiteman AFB. Had a lot of good times at Old Barney's.

Sorry for the derailment.
I didn't change any of the settings... and I double checked and the settings in power management under the "When the lid is closed..." option both said "Sleep." I'm not sure what is happening; it seems to be an intermittent problem, and it just started doing it.

I usually sleep it in the bad. :eek: It's never seemed to affect it, as it puts out little heat when it is put to sleep. It used to be carried around in a huge, thick, well-padded ThinkPad case that dates back from the 1990s. (Old logo and everything.) I'm using that to hold the T42 (seems more appropriate) and I bought a new, more airy ThinkPad case from Lenovo just a week or two ago. So I'd imagine if it handled the old case, it should be able to handle this one (it has more space for ventilation, etc.) With that being said, I understand that it isn't ideal.

Hero's and Old Barney's are both open. It's funny that you mention Old Barney's as one of my bosses was talking about their food the other day. I've never ate there - but she acted like it was too good to pass up, so I guess I'll try it someday. I've never heard of Dellwood Estates, but I've (definitely) heard of Whiteman AFB, and have been by it many times. Now it's known mostly for the Northrop-Grumman B2 bomber, which flies over many times a day. I even drove by the AFB and saw one of the B2's taxiing (sp?). I heard the now give tours of the Minutemen Missile (Minutemen II?) control room out there, but I don't know if there is any truth to that.
ThinkPads: T420, T42

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by MikalE » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Tours of the Oscar-01 Launch Control Center and facility are by appointment, but anyone is welcome. Oscar-01 was the only LCC that was constructed right on the Support Base. I performed maintenance there several times.

During annual open house no appointment is required and tours are given all day.

I haven't been to Old Barney's since 1987 so it may have changed some. It was great back then though.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified
T16 i7 1260P 21BV000SUS