Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Blown T420 backlight fuse, potential risks if jumping/briding?

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
rocketjordon

Blown T420 backlight fuse, potential risks if jumping/briding?

#1 Post by rocketjordon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am

Hello,
I recently bought a T420 that had a broken screen (or so I thought). A broken screen was OK for me since I anyhow was about to do some upgrades, including a 1600x900 panel, but also flashing coreboot onto to it and installing an ivy bridge processor.

So I got all the needed parts, flashed coreboot successfully, put everything together (with the new panel)... and still no picture... Now, I was able to verify that the laptop is working (except for the screen) by using an external monitor + Fn&F7 + live Linux image. Also, while in the live session, if I open some bright sharp pictures I am able to see them on the laptop screen if I point the brightest flashlight I got at the screen. So from what I have read on forums this points to a blown backlight fuse.

I opened up the laptop and found the fuse (verified with multimeter that it is blown), but it is tiny and I am not skilled enough to do the replacement, nor can I source the replacement fuse locally (and having it delivered to where I live would be half the price of a replacement motherboard from ebay). So I am thinking of just jumping it.

But before I do, I would like to know the risks of jumping it. If whatever caused the fuse to blow occurs again, what components can I damage? Basically I am OK with killing the motherboard, since that is useless to me anyhow if I get no picture, but the rest (cpu, ram etc...) I would not like to damage. Also, I got a new LCD cable because the old looked splintered/ripped at the screen connector. Maybe that caused the fuse to blow and therefore it should not happen again now that I got a new cable... maybe? Your thoughts?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Blown T420 backlight fuse, potential risks if jumping/briding?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:55 am

Welcome to the Forum.
The most likely blown fuse is either F19 (0.5A, marked F), or F3 (3A, marked P).
Both are described as "fast-acting".
Do NOT bridge a blown fuse, you run the risk of blowing something else!
If you can manage to solder a wire to each end of the fuse on the board, you can then solder a new fuse (of a larger size if you like) between the other ends of the fuse.
Alternative: piggyback-solder the new fuse on top of the old one.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

#3 Post by jronald » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:53 pm

On some earlier machines I have soldered a single strand of a 14 gauge stranded wire over the two ends of the fuse. Then a bit of tape to insulate the [censored] fuse assembly.

(It does not like the word Bas tard ized?)

Ron
Last edited by jronald on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#4 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm

When I blew the backlight fuse (F7) on my T420 I just bridged it with a wire and it seems fine, for now. :\ Can't sell it like this, though.