Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420s/T430s battery runtime after FHD or WQHD mod

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
Sweater Fish Deluxe
Freshman Member

T420s/T430s battery runtime after FHD or WQHD mod

#1 Post by Sweater Fish Deluxe » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to understand how these screen mods affect total power consumption and battery runtime on the laptop, since that's the other limitation on the s models. If battery life is decreased significantly, it may not be worth the tradeoff for me since I only get 3-3.5 hours on my T420s as is. I'm having trouble understanding all the specs, though. It even seems possible that there could be a gain in battery life since the backlight is more efficient on some newer panels.

The converter board itself will consume power and RMSMajestic has said the WQHD board consumes more than the FHD. How much, though? Then there's the screen itself which is divided between the panel and the backlight. Higher quality panels consume up to twice the power as the stock TN panels, but on some screens the backlight uses quite a bit less power. Maybe there's also some draw on the GPU to drive he higher resolution, but I don't know if that would be significant at all.

Has anyone that installed these mods run any comparisons? It would be great to have a sense of what the differences might be before buying a mod board and screen.

t420poklop

Re: T420s/T430s battery runtime after FHD or WQHD mod

#2 Post by t420poklop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:11 pm

I have T420s with FHD AUO panel and I see no difference in battery life. I get cca 6h of light use (ultrabay and main battery), wifi on, display 9/15, with power management set to long battery life