Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Screw sticking out of J key in T420i

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
nightgaunt

Screw sticking out of J key in T420i

#1 Post by nightgaunt » Fri May 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Hello! I am at a loss as to where this screw may lie in my laptops innards. So I figured I'd come here and ask for help.

I bought this laptop on the cheap, and didn't notice the screw when I bought it (I would have probably bought it anyways for the price :P). The screw is to the right of the button when I take the key off. It seems as though it is a long screw that was forced into a small screw socket. As you can see it tore through the keyboard lining. I took the back of the laptop off, but the screw doesn't seem accessible just by that measure.

I have the tools to fix this, but can anyone take a guess as to where the screw is so I can troubleshoot it a little better? I imagine this was a refurbishing gone very wrong? For the record, yes, it makes my J key near useless and I have to press way too hard to get it to show up.

thinkpadcollection

Re: Screw sticking out of J key in T420i

#2 Post by thinkpadcollection » Fri May 04, 2018 3:16 pm

This screw is what holds keyboard in place is behind your bottom memory module cover, you could leave this hidden second screw out, the memory cover screw also holds keyboard in place as well but i like both in place, this is needed to take out this screw to get keyboard out of computer to access the second memory slot and wifi card. There are none right length in your notebook for this keyboard. Just take this screw out and cut, file or grind some 1/8" off this screw and you're fixed.

I have T420 also same thing as yours but original. I knew it since I disassembled whole thing down to motherboard.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection