Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Two external monitors with a non-Nvidia T420

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
andrewferguson

Two external monitors with a non-Nvidia T420

#1 Post by andrewferguson » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:01 pm

[Apologies in advance for what is probably a simple question].

I have a T420, and I am reorganizing my work space and one thing I would like to do is get two 1080p monitors running with the T420. From reading various threads, I understand that this will mean that the internal display on the T420 will be disabled - that is fine with me.

I already have two DVI-D to HDMI adapters (well, one is labelled "HDMI to DVI", but I assume it will work the other way round?) and I think the best solution is to get the Mini Dock Plus, which has two DVI-D outputs, and use the adapters to convert DVI to HDMI, which connects to the two monitors (which I have yet to purchase, but will probably only have HDMI inputs).

Before I go all out and buy the dock and monitors, I want to check that what I am proposing makes sense. Is there any reason why this would not work? (I am using Linux, but that shouldn't make a difference).

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: Two external monitors with a non-Nvidia T420

#2 Post by dr_st » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 pm

2 external monitors will work as long as the internal display is disabled, no problem. If your monitors only have HDMI inputs, then what you said is a good way to go. You can also get a DVI-to-HDMI and a DisplayPort-to-HDMI and use one of the DisplayPorts on the Mini-Dock Plus, and one of the DVI outputs.

You can also get a Mini-Dock (non-plus) and use its DVI and DisplayPort outputs as described above (The regular Mini-Dock may be found slightly cheaper, but it should not be a meaningful difference nowadays). You can also get monitors with DVI/DisplayPort inputs and use them without any converters (not that the converters are a problem).

There are really plenty different options.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad