- There is a pixel shifting red horizontal band of pixels at the bottom across bottom third of taskbar area that is changing colors. It's present in BIOS, Windows and Knoppix but not if I connect external 1280x1024 monitor via dock. The board has ATI Radeon HD 3470 graphics, the screen is 1280x800.
- It might have memory problem
I would like to upgrade screen to 1440x900 and fix the band. Questions:
- Am I safe to assume it's a motherboard problem and not a screen or screen cable problem and just order Intel-only motherboard or do I need further testing?
- What is the best 1440x900 screen option for T400, any chance of aftermarket LED?
- Posts: 16220
- Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:28 am
- Location: Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania, USA
It would help if you could post a link to the pictures of the defect. My initial guess would be that the screen is defective.
Some T400 units were shipped with LED 1440x900 panels, but I believe that you might have to swap the entire lid in order to get it working, it's been a long time since I've played with T400 series...What is the best 1440x900 screen option for T400, any chance of aftermarket LED?
George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)
AARP club members:A31p,T43pSF
Abused daily: T61p
PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.
I feel like most dont warrant the expense however if you really love a particular machine.
I have a pile of T400s and I think only one has a 900p LED screen as its a late model option.
Here is the BIOS
The band changes pixels and color but does not react to pressing on keyboard area or LCD cable. This would point towards the motherboard, while no band on external screen via dock would imply it's the monitor.
The laptop has 1280x800 non-LED panel without webcam.
I know it's not financially viable to fix it, I'm doing it for the path is the goal. I don't love this machine as much as it wasn't mine originally but I'd like to fix it to get in the fixing mood before I start fixing my dearer machines. This won't be a daily driver, it will probably be my try different distros machine. I also won't go overboard financially for this project but new screen or motherboard, upgrade RAM from 2GB, add small SSD.
Collectibles: T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X32 (IPS Screen)
Retired: X61 7673-V2V, T60 1952-F76, A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad
A GPU error would put artifacts all over the place a la T42p GPU failure which is not what this is seeing; or no screen at all, or a laptop that refuses to POST.
lenovo T410s i5 520m, WXGA+, 4GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m, FHD, 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700, WUXGA, 8GB
lenovo T520 i7 2760QM, FHD, 8GB
Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612
So next step is the motherboard. How do I make sure LCD is LED?
I know I can open it but those screw covers can become damaged. Is there another way to make sure whether new LCD is LED or CCFL?
EDIT: Crap I pulled corner screw and lifted the bezel and the board is 41W1479 which is the inverter and not the LED.
Anyone has any experience with ebay disputes?
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests