Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Adding GPS (T400)

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
Art

Adding GPS (T400)

#1 Post by Art » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:02 am

Hi :)

My T400 (well both of them) came without the cellular data/GPS PCIe module, so I got the Ericsson one, that is one of two types that could have come with it.
It’s "Universal Ericsson F3507G HSDPA WWAN MINI PCI-E+GPS” as described on eBay.

Given that I’m not interested in the cellular data part, is there anything else need doing other than install the module, and it’s drivers?
Then I assume you get an extra COM port with NMEA spitting out of it?

Cheers.

turomini
Freshman Member

Re: Adding GPS (T400)

#2 Post by turomini » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:54 am

Unless you whitelist remove the BIOS on your laptop, that cellular data module will not work. The module will have to have the correct id code that matches to specific lenovo codes. Universal modules have different codes. Pretty much, unless it has a lenovo FRU, it won't work.

The best way to look for the correct module is to look in the HMM for the FRU numbers and search by those.

Do both of these laptops have the antenna leads for the cellular module? I think its possible that some thinkpads were shipped without them. You may not need the antenna just for GPS, but I really don't know.
Not having used one of these modules, but general cellular stuff, you may need to throw an old sim card in the laptop to trick it into working, it just won't find a network. Newer electronics are smarter and realized you don't need a sim card for everything.

Art

#3 Post by Art » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 am

Ok, thanks for the info. I never considered that.

Yes they still have the SIM card reader and both antennas.
If the module isn’t installed, both plugs are covered with some heat shrink and tucked near the empty slot.

Maybe I can get a Lenovo one from a fellow who wrecked a T400 (who has supplied some other bits for me).

Screamer

#4 Post by Screamer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:57 am

I happen to have the T400's BIOS file that has the WWAN and the WLAN whitelist removed, this should help you:
For an x64-compatible system
For an x86-compatible system

Works for the R400 too, if I am not mistaken. Do be aware that the files have 2 BIOS files, since the other BIOS (7VET94WW) file was meant for a T400/R400 that does not have the IEEE1394a port or the FireWire 400 port.
Last edited by Screamer on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art

#5 Post by Art » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:14 am

Ok, I don’t care about the Firewire port, but isn’t that provided by the same Ricoh chip that provides the SD card reader?
I wouldn’t want that to go away, as it’s built in and neat, and I’d hate a usb one sticking out of the laptop if it's unnecessarily.

Interestingly one of the T400 has a camera, and one doesn’t. That requires a different moulded monitor case part.
That’s pretty weird for the same model laptop. Maybe this has been mentioned 100 times already, and I haven’t searched about it or anything.

Screamer

#6 Post by Screamer » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:23 pm

It is, and I understand what you mean. However, I think you are getting the wrong idea from what I am trying to say. I'll try to simplify this as much as I can.

What am I trying to say is that if you do wish to use the WWAN card that is not in the whitelist in the T400's stock BIOS, you should use an appropriate BIOS file that I have given in the 2 links found in my previous reply. The x86 link is for Windows OSes that are 32-bit, and the x64 link is for Windows OSes that are 64-bit. Pick one of those links that fits your current Windows OS installation.

In either x86 or x64 zip archives, there will be two files that will be inside the zip archive. One of BIOS files is what you should be using, while the other BIOS file should not be used. In this case, is your T400 equipped with the FireWire port? If it is, extract the folder that starts with 7U. If it is not, extract the folder that starts with 7V.

Then, follow the instructions provided in the readme that should be in the zip archive. This should be all you need to remove that pesky WWAN whitelist, and that would finally allow your Ericsson card to work in your T400.