Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Keeping a T430 going

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
ecojournalist

Keeping a T430 going

#1 Post by ecojournalist » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:28 am

I just want to say thank you to all the hardcore Thinkpad geeks for your community, camaraderie and help. I bought a T430s as a primary system after an Asus Transformer T200 2-in-1 starting having issues, and man this ThinkPad is one of the best computers I've ever had. Because of that, I want to start getting parts to make sure it continues it's excellent life. What is usually the first thing to go? What should I have on my shelf for me to grab when something fails? A mainboard? CPU? RAM?

I have RMSMajestic's WQHD mod, and am carefully looking for a proper, matching screen for the quad hd. I begin to wonder whether the nvidia 5400 1gb will be enough to push all those pixels, especially if I want to load up Fallout 4. So I wonder if it's possible to push an nvidia 5400 1gb up a few gigs? Are there any slightly newer video adapters that could go in? I have an i7 w 8gb and two SSDs. it's a fast machine that handles everything I can throw at it, and I'm becoming rather affectionate of this highly moddable computer.

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Keeping a T430 going

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:35 am

1) CPU almost NEVER dies. Mainboard is likely the first but it is all chance. My T430s mainboard died, but I've seen many of them still chug along day after day.

2)Getting replacement parts on eBay for a Thinkpads is a breeze.

3)Can it push that many pixels, yes. Computers in 2003 could push that many pixels. Can it push Fallout 4 at full res, probably not. Could it do it at 1080p or 720p depending on settings. Probably just fine. Can't say for how demanding Fallout 4 is but it is a bit old and I don't remember fallout being super demanding.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.