Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T400 display problems, WIN10 OS, suspected ATI Radeon HD3470 driver issue

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
lawgilbert95

T400 display problems, WIN10 OS, suspected ATI Radeon HD3470 driver issue

#1 Post by lawgilbert95 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:37 am

A Blessed Christmas to one and all.

I am faced with a perplexing situation that needs to be solved, and hence, I am seeking assistance to resolve this situation

BACKGROUND:
I have recently purchased a used T400, which has the original Windows 7 PRO (licensed and activated) 64-bit OS. Everything was fine: all ports were working, audio / video, WiFI, and all device drivers were installed

The Basic technical specs / configuration of this T400 is as follows:
P8600 (2.4GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400rpm HD, 14.1in 1440x900 LCD, 256MB ATI Radeon HD3470, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11agn, WWAN option, Bluetooth, Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure Chip, Fingerprint reader, Camera

In order to test its performance, I upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB. I took a working SSD (which has a Win 10 PRO 64-bit OS, working perfectly fine in a T420) from a T420, and installed it in the T400. Upon first start-up, it reached the log-in page and subsequently, the desktop, without any problems. However, upon re-start, it ran the initial Win 10 logo with the circulating dots, and then, the screen went black (not entirely pitch black, but with the backlit still working). The HDD LED light reflects that the HDD was still working. However, it did not video out anything. So, connecting it to an external monitor, the external monitor reflected the same. Here’re two videos to show what happened:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=11eAz1 ... 2EizFSqVEr

Thinking that perhaps, my SSD was corrupted, I shut down the T400, properly, then re-installed the SSD into my T420. Fortunately, it continued to work perfectly in the T420, without a hitch.

So, I took another HDD (with Win 10 installed and working perfectly fine), this time, from a T61, to install it in the T400. Like the earlier experience, upon first start-up, it reached the log-in page and subsequently, the desktop, without any problems. I re-emphasise that I did not adjust any BIOS settings, in between. However, upon re-start, it ran the initial Win 10 logo with the circulating dots, and then, the screen went black (not entirely pitch black, but with the backlit still working). The HDD LED light reflects that the HDD was working. However, it did not video out anything. Here’s the video:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10bO8Z ... 3moSccl_vx

I removed the HDD, and re-inserted it back to the T61. It continued to work perfectly in the T61, without any hitch

I then took the original HDD (the one with Win 7 PRO), inserted it in the T400, it worked perfectly, reached log-in, and subsequently the desktop:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-N1g3 ... HcPkZPGpCT

I tried one more attempt with yet another HDD, this has Manjaro KDE OS installed. It worked fine without any problems: it reached the desktop, and I was even able to connect to the internet:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H-Y1u ... YfBk8g4ihC

I googled to search for what were the likely problems, and discovered, on a Lenovo forum page, that it could be due to the switchable / discrete graphics issue. However, the strange thing is that, aside from re-organizing the boot order device list, I did not adjust any other setting

Hence, upon the next start-up, I hit the “ThinkVantage” button, to see if the graphics option was available. My BIOS is version 3.24. There were no graphics option available, that I can manipulate

Can anyone help with useful suggestions on how to resolve the issue(s)

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T400 display problems, WIN10 OS, suspected ATI Radeon HD3470 driver issue

#2 Post by Neil » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:59 am

Good job of trouble shooting. You have eliminated any hardware as the source of the problem, and successfully identified Windows Licensing as the problem, since the licensed version of Windows works and Linux works. The solution can be found here on the Mocrosoft Community forum.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

thinkpadcollection

Re: T400 display problems, WIN10 OS, suspected ATI Radeon HD3470 driver issue

#3 Post by thinkpadcollection » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Use your original windows 7 COA key that came with this T400 (look under battery or on bottom of the T400) to install windows 10, Home becomes windows 10, 7 Pro becomes 10 pro. Make sure the graphics is set either discrete or intel in bios. Not switchable.

Cheers, thinkpadcollection