Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T580: unstable work with BSOD (I guess I know why)

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
TimeCoder

T580: unstable work with BSOD (I guess I know why)

#1 Post by TimeCoder » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:19 am

Hello folks,
I have critical problem with my laptop T580 that I use for remote work in Bali. Let me describe how it was step by step, I hope somebody will help me.

September 2018 - I bought new ThinkPad T580. Near from official shop I found laptops service and ask some man to extend RAM. There was 8+8Gb, he replaced 8 to 16, 24Gb total. Yes I know, best case when there is two RAM with same size (and type).

Till the end of 2018 - sometimes I got BSOD without any reasons. No mini-dump files was created, so, I have no details why.

Last couple of month - BSOD almost every day. After BSOD laptop can't start. It can't recognize HDD (SSD-disk of course). I found one pattern: it works stable while I don't move laptop whereever from the desk. Sometimes I have to take my laptop away from the house. Of course it is some shaking. After that, when I get the laptop from my backpack in 90% cases it can't load. Mostly I see boot menu (Windows Boot loader or LAN), sometimes something about corrupted efi-file. I press power button, try load again, shake, again, again... In 10 minutes it finally works. But at any moment I can get BSOD and the same story. I did two experiments.

Experiment 1: I have one more SSD disk (with Windows) that I used on my T420 (best laptop ever!) and connector from this disk to USB. I selected this external disk as startup device - it works. In 99% cases. Just only once I got BSOD after start with this external disk. In this mode I also see the primary SSD (which is inside laptop), but not always. Last time I tried to copy files from internal SSD - nope! I see only root folders, all of them are empty inside!

Experiment 2: today I took apart the laptop. I was going to change internal SSD with those one.
First, I removed 8Gb RAM and tried to start - fail, same problem (can't find SSD).
Second, retried the same with 16Gb RAM - fail again. Looks like RAM is not problem.

Next, I wasn't able to replace SSD, they have different connectors! There is short black cable between internal SSD and motherboard. After I move both sides of cable (disconnect and connect several times) laptop started! But I can't be sure when it will fail again. Maybe this is just a coincedence, and the problem somewhere else. How I can fix it? What else can I do? Thanks for any advices!

UPD One more problem (not related to first one?) It started very recently, just a week ago. Spikes in temperature of CPU up to 97C! Normal temperature is 50-60, with 100% loading - up to 70-80C, I never saw 90+ before. In fact I can't run any highweight applications anymore.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T580: unstable work with BSOD (I guess I know why)

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am

Regarding the SSD issue: maybe a bit of Kapton tape on both ends of the cable will keep them in place?

Temperature issue: maybe due to the tropical climate? Try disabling Turbo Boost.
Daily driver: X220 4291-C91 i7-2620M

Backup: X220 4291-P79 i5-2520M
Toy: X60F Core Solo U1300
In pieces: two retired but working X61Ts
RIP: 760XD 9546-U9E; X61 7676-A24; and a BOE-Hydis HV121P01-100 in failed SXGA+ mod
:cry:

TimeCoder

Re: T580: unstable work with BSOD (I guess I know why)

#3 Post by TimeCoder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 pm

axur-delmeria wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am
Regarding the SSD issue: maybe a bit of Kapton tape on both ends of the cable will keep them in place?
I'll try the tape, but looks like my manipulation really helped. Three days of stable work! That's so strange, we're talking about ThinkPad, cool brand, that is supposed to work fine out of the box without any fixes!
axur-delmeria wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:41 am
Temperature issue: maybe due to the tropical climate? Try disabling Turbo Boost.
You are genius! It's working! Great difference. With 99% limitation of CPU even with full loading I have 70C maximum. But it worked somehow before. You said tropical climate: I work inside room with aircon, not so hot. Or do you mean dry CPU thermoplastic because of high humidity?