Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T400 Display-related Problems

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
lawgilbert95

T400 Display-related Problems

#1 Post by lawgilbert95 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:27 am

I have a T400 Type: 2768-HJ8, which exhibited several non-working issues, of which I managed to troubleshoot and resolve some of them; the current situation, I am not able to, hence seeking advice from the experts in this forum

To provide a complete picture, this is a used notebook which I recently purchased from a local thrift store

Upon installing RAM, and a HDD (with an OS), and switching on AC power, the only the Bluetooth LED light lighted up - all other DID NOT light up, but the screen was black, after a short while, two beeps were heard, and then, the notebook shut off by itself

I then connected it to an external monitor, through the VGA port, the same happened, but this time, I was able to see, on the external monitor, that there was a "Fan Error" message before it shut off by itself

I then disassembled the palm rest and key board to reach the fan to clean it thoroughly. re-started it, but this time, i viewed the fan, which was NOT turning when I switched on AC power. My next attempt, after switching on, and upon hearing the two beeps, was to PRESS ESC key. Indeed, the notebook went past POST, onto Windows, this was seen on the external screen. However, the notebook's screen remained black and blank, and the fan DID NOT run

The first OS, Win 7 PRO, went onto the Windows desktop, but the fan was NOT able to run.
So, I took another HDD, with a Win 10 PRO OS, and re-started the notebook. This time, the fan ran smoothly. However, the notebook's screen remained black and blank

During all of the above, ONLY the Bluetooth LED was lighted, all other LED lights were not lit up. During my last attempt, I managed to view Device Manager, all drivers were installed, WiFi was working, though the WiFi LED was not lit up

This video shows my final attempt: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1krYh1 ... 6QS5fcp2jd

to summarise, the current situation is that the notebook can go into the Windows 10 desktop, the fan now works, BUT ONLY the BlueTooth LED is lighted, and the notebook's screen is black and blank; this photo summarizes the current situation:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iA7__ ... y1CyVt1zYC

Please suggest / advise what else should I do to narrow down the root problem(s), and resolve these. Thank you

Screamer

Re: T400 Display-related Problems

#2 Post by Screamer » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:38 am

I believe that your T400's inverter might be damaged, considering that only one of the LEDs lighted up.

If I were you, I would give a look at the video cable and the inverter's condition. Something is not quite right with these two culprits, especially the inverter.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T400 Display-related Problems

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 pm

Download/install/run HWINFO to find out which type LCD you have: CCFL or LED.
You should also check the fuses around the mobo LCD-connector.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine