Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T410 - New Graphics Card Driver Compatibility?

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
Mel222

T410 - New Graphics Card Driver Compatibility?

#1 Post by Mel222 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Hello,

I have a T410 that has a NVIDIA 3100M dedicated graphics card. The driver for it is the last update offered (dated 2016). It actually works fine for my purposes (using graphic design software, playing older games, video streaming, etc.), but I just wanted to see if I could get a more updated graphics card for this machine.

So I went to the NVIDIA website to see if there was a compatible driver that I could replace the one I have with, and after I entered in my specs, it takes me to the Quadro Notebook Driver R390 U9 (392.37). And it says to make sure you first check with your OEM for recommended software updates…but of course Lenovo no longer supports the T410 and has no drivers on their site for this laptop. I looked at the “Product Support” tab for this Quadro driver and didn’t see the NVS 3100M listed (there was a NVS 310, but not sure if that’s the same thing), so I'm not sure if it'd be right or not. I called NVIDIA customer support and the guy didn’t tell me if the Quadro would be right or not…he just said I’d have to check with the laptop manufacturer, or I should just buy a new laptop with a newer graphics card in it. :roll:

Does anyone have this Quadro driver on their T410 with similar specs (see below), or know if it’d be compatible? One of my concerns is that a newer driver could cause overheating issues, and I have had some overheating issues before, which I am careful about avoiding, but certainly don't want to fry my machine.

Here are some specs for my laptop if it’s helpful to know:

Intel i5 Core M 520 2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM (2.99 GB usable)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 (32-bit)
Intel SSD 120GB

Thanks!
Last edited by Mel222 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: T410 - New Graphics Card Driver Compatibility?

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:30 am

Make a backup of your current OS, then uninstall the gfx driver and install that new one.
If it works fine, leave it.
If not, restore your backup and forget it.
OTOH, why don't you up the RAM to 8GB and install W7 64-bit instead?
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

Mel222

Re: T410 - New Graphics Card Driver Compatibility?

#3 Post by Mel222 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:04 am

Thanks for the reply RealBlackStuff...that is what I was going to try, but given I am not super knowledgeable about these types of things, just wanted to see if trying it would be advised against or not.

As far as getting 8GB RAM and install Windows 7 64-bit goes...thanks for suggesting that as another option, and I am interested in looking into doing that too - would be really nice to have more RAM on this machine.