Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T520 Graphics.

T400/410/420 and T500/510/520 series specific matters only
freeagent

T520 Graphics.

#1 Post by freeagent » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:58 pm

My T520 (4243WD1) appears to have both Intel HD Graphics 3000 and NVIDIA Optimas GPU. Running Windows 7 64 bit.

In BIOS, there are three options. Integrated, Discrete and Optimus. It says that OS will switch to Optimus if supported. I think there is also an option to prevent that from happening.

After doing some troubleshooting on another issue, I have system back working. But not sure if my messing around got me back where I should be!

What I see, is that my laptop screen is on Intel HD 3000 and my external monitor on Nvidia Optimus. Is that normal?

I ask because my Windows Experience graphics score is now lower than it was before (5.9 vs 6.5)

freeagent

Re: T520 Graphics.

#2 Post by freeagent » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Another thing I see.

I see no easy way to switch from External to laptop monitor. Seems there are two competing controls - The windows Display controls in Control panel and the Nvidia control panel. I am sure this wasn't always like this?????

Another strange thing - The NVIDIA control panel brings up only the laptop as option - the one that is apparently being controlled by the Intel graphics. Can't switch there. The Windows Display in Control panel brings up the External monitor (controlled by NVIdia. But there I can switch displays. Finally discovered that I can switch displays by using Fn F7 on laptop keyboard but not using my USB external keyboard!

If it seems like I am confused - I am! And I have owned this T520 for 5 years (IBM Re-Certified used unit)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#3 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 am

I'd suggest you read "Chapter 7. Fn key combinations" in the HMM manual.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff). And pigs CAN fly!
Check out The Boardroom for Parts, Mods and Other Services.

dr_st

#4 Post by dr_st » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:37 am

The Fn key on the laptop keyboard and the Fn key on the desktop keyboard (if your desktop keyboard has such a key) typically send different signals. In fact, I think Fn on the laptop keyboard does not even send a scancode - it is handled entirely on the Embedded Controller level.

In any version of Windows starting from Windows 7 there is a built-in key combination to switch between different multi-monitor options: WinKey+P. Fn+F7 on these systems does essentially the same thing as Win+P.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), X1 Carbon (20HQ), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

freeagent

#5 Post by freeagent » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:36 am

Ok thanks for input on switching. So long as I use the laptop keyboard winlogo/P works; From external it also works. Fn/F7 works from laptop, but not from external keyboard.

I thought the video stuttering I mentioned in another thread had been solved with new cable, but it is back again. Simple test I do, is run any CNN video on laptop. Works perfectly. Run same video after switching to external monitor and every few seconds, I briefly get that circling arrow and the video stutters. Less than before I changed cable, but still happens. I will go back to the other thread to keep things in same place.