Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 series specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
vgiozo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:32 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#1 Post by vgiozo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm

I am seriously considering upgrading my T520's HD+ screen with a FHD one.

My questions are

1) Do "compatible" B156HW01 v.4 screens adhere to the advertized 95% NTSC Gamut specification?
- I have found Alibaba sellers who advertize the exact specifications from panelook, but I don't know if they're actually true.
http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=686
- Then there are various "compatible" screens under the same name, but not sure if they actually match these specifications; of course they mention only the title, not the actual features.
- Listings for "Genuine" B156HW01 v.4 exist but at double the price, and outside the EU, thus increasing customs fees...this would make the upgrade VS purchasing a more modern used Thinkpad less advantageous.

2) If "compatible" B156HW01 screens aren't up to it, should I go for alternative AUO/LG screens which, may be better than the vague "compatible" ones, or are these, actually, the "compatible" / lesser ones?

For example some of these panels can be found in the market
http://www.panelook.com/N156HGE-L11__15 ... 16512.html
http://www.panelook.com/B156HTN01.1__15 ... 20471.html
http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=12286
http://www.panelook.com/LP156WFC-TLB1_L ... 18458.html
http://www.panelook.com/modeldetail.php?id=686
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

jursky
Freshman Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 am
Location: Kosice, Slovakia
Contact:

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#2 Post by jursky » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm

If you are willing to go into compatible models, I personally would rather give a try to LVDS->eDP converter board + an IPS panel, it would be probably more worthwhile investment and give you better results in the end.

Anyway, I can confirm that AUO B156HTN01.1 is fully compatible with W530 (which means it's compatible with W510-W530 and T510-T530) because my W530 came with this panel when I bought it (4 years ago, second hand). However I did not like the panel because it had barely visible vertical lines (with offset of 2px between each line) across whole display. Somebody else would probably not mind but I just could not get accustomed to it, so I started looking for a "full" B156HW01 V.4 unit (or V.7 = glossy, that would be even better but I could not find any) and I was lucky because there was a guy who had a dead W520 (with V.4 display), so I bought it from him. Now that I am thinking about it, I don't even remember what I did with the B156HTN01.1 after that.

Edit: it is possible that maybe I just had a faulty B156HTN01.1 panel, which had these vertical stripes.
X230 i7-3520M (Nitrocaster Rev.6 + 13.3" FHD 99% sRGB IPS panel SHARP LQ133M1JW02).

vgiozo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:32 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#3 Post by vgiozo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

jursky wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm
If you are willing to go into compatible models, I personally would rather give a try to LVDS->eDP converter board + an IPS panel, it would be probably more worthwhile investment and give you better results in the end.

Anyway, I can confirm that AUO B156HTN01.1 is fully compatible with W530 (which means it's compatible with W510-W530 and T510-T530) because my W530 came with this panel when I bought it (4 years ago, second hand). However I did not like the panel because it had barely visible vertical lines (with offset of 2px between each line) across whole display. Somebody else would probably not mind but I just could not get accustomed to it, so I started looking for a "full" B156HW01 V.4 unit (or V.7 = glossy, that would be even better but I could not find any) and I was lucky because there was a guy who had a dead W520 (with V.4 display), so I bought it from him. Now that I am thinking about it, I don't even remember what I did with the B156HTN01.1 after that.

Edit: it is possible that maybe I just had a faulty B156HTN01.1 panel, which had these vertical stripes.
Was your monitor not returnable/refundable ? Did you try to to return it?

B156HTN01.1 is the one I was considering buying, because it fits the B156HW01 V.4 specifications so well...in another notebook-related forum, people have even reported that HWINFO shows their B156HW01 V.4 having "B156HTN01.1" as manufacturer's Monitor Name
Image

These are my main choices, other than the original 95% NTSC panel
B156HTN01.1
LP156WF1(TL)(B2)
N156HGE-L11
LP156WFC-TLB1

There are many available components in the US/ebay. market..unfortunately having them shipped to europe increases the cost and since they're used panels, the cost reaches around 100 EUR, when I can buy a new panel from the local market, with 2-year zero-pixel warranty for 115 EUR.


Is this what you're talking about? https://www.ebay.com/itm/LVDS-To-EDP-Ad ... 3856716026
Where would all this fit inside the back cover? Has it been done successfully?

Is there a thread here which demonstrates how it's done on the T520?
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

jursky
Freshman Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 am
Location: Kosice, Slovakia
Contact:

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#4 Post by jursky » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 am

Yes, some adapter like that, but I would prefer something what's being sold directly for use in the laptop, so for example this w520/w530 adapter: https://www.google.com/amp/s/h5.aliexpr ... 16802.html

But I didn't try it myself so I am not saying you should buy it. I was kinda hoping for someone else to step in and say "hey, no worries, it's working flawlessly. You need exactly this, and IPS panel buy from this seller...".

There is very similar board for T420/T430 which allows to install IPS panel into the laptop, and I saw few posts that people did install it, so if somebody of them gets across this post, they could share their thoughts.
X230 i7-3520M (Nitrocaster Rev.6 + 13.3" FHD 99% sRGB IPS panel SHARP LQ133M1JW02).

vgiozo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:32 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#5 Post by vgiozo » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 am

jursky wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:43 am
Yes, some adapter like that, but I would prefer something what's being sold directly for use in the laptop, so for example this w520/w530 adapter: https://www.google.com/amp/s/h5.aliexpr ... 16802.html

But I didn't try it myself so I am not saying you should buy it. I was kinda hoping for someone else to step in and say "hey, no worries, it's working flawlessly. You need exactly this, and IPS panel buy from this seller...".

There is very similar board for T420/T430 which allows to install IPS panel into the laptop, and I saw few posts that people did install it, so if somebody of them gets across this post, they could share their thoughts.
One Aliexpress Seller (I didn't keep the link) who was selling the W520 LVDS>eDP converter had written in the listing description that it requires modding, cutting plastic etc so I'm not too optimistic. Would love it too if it could be done.

When I got the laptop I was happy it had the 1600*900 screen in comparison to the lower resolution, although I could see it was even a little worse than the one on the L520 I gifted to my father (also 1600*900).
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

wujstefan
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:38 am
Location: Tarnow, Poland

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#6 Post by wujstefan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:19 am

vgiozo wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:28 am
One Aliexpress Seller (I didn't keep the link) who was selling the W520 LVDS>eDP converter had written in the listing description that it requires modding, cutting plastic etc so I'm not too optimistic. Would love it too if it could be done.
It does, the board/cable is unstable and fails frequently, and the screen is not centered - it is impossible due to center it due to hinge design. Been there, done that. Stick with stock. This system is - unfortunately - not meant for IPS...
vgiozo wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:25 pm
2) If "compatible" B156HW01 screens aren't up to it, should I go for alternative AUO/LG screens which, may be better than the vague "compatible" ones, or are these, actually, the "compatible" / lesser ones?
I have one for sale, and genuine from T520 (after trying to mod my system with the above). Since I needed to destroy the lid to install the IPS screen I will not need it anymore. PM me for details.
Too many thinkpads not enough time!
(stable under reduction)

vgiozo
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:32 am
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#7 Post by vgiozo » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:45 am

I have found a new panel locally, the AUO B156HW02 V1

http://www.panelook.com/B156HW02%20V1_A ... w_688.html

(AUO specification panel)
http://www.yslcd.com.tw/docs/product/B156HW02%20V.1.pdf

I also found this comparison between the LG LP156WF1-TLB1 and the AUO B156HW02-V1
http://www.colordmd.com/display%20comparison.pdf

Does anyone have any experience or info about the quality of this panel?
T520 4243-AF5 (R9-KKBG3), HD+ 1600*900, i5 2520m, 2*8GB DDR3L 1333, Plextor mSATA, 2*500GB HDD (caddy), no eSATA, 4*USB 2,0, no modem

kfzhu1229
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder
Posts: 1655
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:59 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#8 Post by kfzhu1229 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:56 pm

jursky wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm
so I started looking for a "full" B156HW01 V.4 unit (or V.7 = glossy, that would be even better but I could not find any)
I think I might have a V.7 display on a ThinkPad T520 because the original owner smashed the original Samsung 900p display. I actually really hate the glossy look on a ThinkPad so I can do a trade if you want. Or I am about to sell that entire laptop anyway too so...
edit: wait no mine also said V.4 but it is glossy, I never got my brain around these model number things.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!At7-rt1KJ7WviNQq-BziDzXOPjEBlA
Dell Lat CP MMX-233 64mb 40gb W2k
600 PII-266 416mb 40gb WXP
T23 PIII 1.13ghz 1gb W7
Lat D830 X9000 8gb 128gb WSXGA+ Ultrasharp fp W10
T530i 15.6" i7 16gb fp W10
UXGA:
A30p PIII 1.2 1gb W7 (IDTech)
T43p 2.26 2gb fp W10 (Sharp)
Lat C840 P4-2.5 2gb 60gb W7 (Ultrasharp)

jursky
Freshman Member
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 am
Location: Kosice, Slovakia
Contact:

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#9 Post by jursky » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:59 pm

kfzhu1229 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:56 pm
jursky wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm
so I started looking for a "full" B156HW01 V.4 unit (or V.7 = glossy, that would be even better but I could not find any)
I think I might have a V.7 display on a ThinkPad T520...
Hey, glad to hear that, however I am thinking about selling my W530 too. I got also X230 (which I love) but recently I was thinking about selling that one as well and getting something with 14" screen. X Carbons with 14" HDR screens are very tempting. Anyway thanks for the offer.
X230 i7-3520M (Nitrocaster Rev.6 + 13.3" FHD 99% sRGB IPS panel SHARP LQ133M1JW02).

steveadorjan
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:57 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#10 Post by steveadorjan » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:02 pm

wujstefan wrote:I have one for sale, and genuine from T520 (after trying to mod my system with the above). Since I needed to destroy the lid to install the IPS screen I will not need it anymore. PM me for details.
PM sent

steveadorjan
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:57 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: T520 B156HW01 v.4 "Compatible" screens and 95% NTSC

#11 Post by steveadorjan » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:15 pm

[/quote]

I have one for sale, and genuine from T520 (after trying to mod my system with the above). Since I needed to destroy the lid to install the IPS screen I will not need it anymore. PM me for details.
[/quote]

I have PMd you for the screen. Do you still have it?

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests