Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T420 Screen Bezel and missing cutout for camera

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
jkn

T420 Screen Bezel and missing cutout for camera

#1 Post by jkn » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:27 am

Hi All
My wife has a Thinkpad T420, and a year or so ago I replaced the hinges and screen bezel after they were broken by some toddler activity. We have recently had reason for her to use the camera on it, unusually.

The drivers and all indications gave out that the camera was working fine, but we couldn't see anything. Then it struck us - the screen bezel is covered over where there is 'normally' a small transparent area, and LED, for the camera!

I presume that the screen bezel I fitted was for a model variant without a camera - I had not noticed this at the time.

My question is - is the moulding of the bezel actually different, or is there (say) a bit of tape or plastic that can be removed, exposing the camera for use? The T420 has served us well but I would prefer not to find and pay for a new camera-enabled bezel if I can help it.

Thanks & Regards
Jon N

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T420 Screen Bezel and missing cutout for camera

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Is there a wide trapezoidal cutout under the ThinkLight? If you pop the bezel out (tool-less entry on T420, pull the lower bezel off and work around the edges carefully), you might see you can pop out whatever is blocking the camera.

jkn

Re: T420 Screen Bezel and missing cutout for camera

#3 Post by jkn » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:54 pm

I managed to work it out ... the actual screen bezel moulding is the same for models with & without a camera. But the trapezoidal cutout is covered by a small similarly-shaped bit of sticky plastic sheet.

On the model with no camera, this sheet is entirely black. I presume on models with cameras the sheet has two small circular transparent areas; one for the camera and one for the LED.

For now I have just removed the sheet entirely; we'll see if the camera now works. I might try to punch a couple of small holes in the sheet in the right places, and refit the sheet, to improve the appearance

Cheers, Jon N