Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Vantage Power Driver and T410

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 series specific matters only
atirox

Vantage Power Driver and T410

#1 Post by atirox » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:39 pm

So, I inherited this machine from work. It's a T410, type 2522-25U. Basically as per stock minus the Kingston SSD that's replaced the Main HDD. I wiped the machine and did a fresh install of Windows 10 x86-64, as I wanted to be able to access all 4GB of RAM (and have the option to max it out at 8 GB in the future without reinstalling the OS) instead of the 3.8 GB that x86 code (which was on the machine previously) limits you to.

Upon installing Lenovo Vantage from the Windows Store, I've discovered that at some point it was updated (as when the machine belonged to work, Lenovo Vantage at least reported what AC adapter you were using, as well as gave you the option to limit battery charge to extend the life of the Li-Ion battery) and now reports that the Lenovo Power Management Driver is either not installed or functioning properly. The Lenovo driver it recommends you install apparently doesn't work with the T410 hardware...

Has anyone else had this issue before? How did you fix it?

I'm considering rolling the machine back to Windows 7 so that all the hardware works properly (Looking at you Power Management!). I'm just a little bit excited as I've been drooling over a Lenovo for ages now, and I've finally got one in my possession! :D

Screamer

Re: Vantage Power Driver and T410

#2 Post by Screamer » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:56 am

I had a T510 which ran into the same problem as you described. Although, that was approximately two years ago, so my advice may not be of any help.

Get the latest power management driver here, and then run the setup in compatibility mode. If I remember it right, I selected Windows 7 64-bit as the compatibility layer.

This worked with Lenovo Vantage, at least on Windows 10 1803 as far as I can recall. If this does not work, I strongly suggest downgrading back to Windows 7. It is probably better that way though, since your platform does not have software drivers that are specifically designed for Windows 10.

atirox

Re: Vantage Power Driver and T410

#3 Post by atirox » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:38 pm

Sadly, this did not seem to work.

I suspect that this machine is just too old, which I feel is sad because it has a huge potential to be a great machine. That and it's got arguably the best laptop keyboard i've ever used... (the Compaq Presario R3055CA was a very close second). Maybe one day I can drop the nearly $4000 on a new P14s and have the full fat Lenovo Experience on a machine that is supported by Lenovo.