Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

T520 & External HDMI Display via DisplayPort++

T400/T410/T420 and T500/T510/T520 Series
DiagonalArg
Freshman Member

T520 & External HDMI Display via DisplayPort++

#1 Post by DiagonalArg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 pm

I'm running Win10 on my T520, and trying to use an external HDMI monitor though the DisplayPort++ along with a *passive* adapter. The display is a Dasung PaperlikeHD (2019), and all I'm getting is a vague image and snow. I'm wondering if there are any quirks of the T520's DisplayPort, which I believe is 1.1a. The passive adapter i'm using is:
https://www.amazon.com/iVanky-DisplayPo ... B01N6M2VN4

Thanks for any insight!

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: T520 & External HDMI Display via DisplayPort++

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 pm

The adapter you linked is a miniDP to HDMI. The T520 has a full size Displayport. How does it fit?

In most cases, it's an issue with the adapter and/or cable.

Also note that a passive Displayport to HDMI dongle maxes out at around 1920x1200@60Hz, you cannot force a resolution higher than this.
Any higher requires an active adapter.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

DiagonalArg
Freshman Member

#3 Post by DiagonalArg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:07 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 pm
The adapter you linked is a miniDP to HDMI. The T520 has a full size Displayport. How does it fit?
I just used the adapter on the end of this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MDTCZ3S/
axur-delmeria wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 pm
In most cases, it's an issue with the adapter and/or cable.

Also note that a passive Displayport to HDMI dongle maxes out at around 1920x1200@60Hz, you cannot force a resolution higher than this.
Any higher requires an active adapter.
That's right. It's the reason that though I wanted to use the active adapter to accommodate the higher resolution of that screen, I also ordered the passive one just to make sure. Turns out, I get exactly the same result whether I use the passive or active adapters. Here's what the output looks like:
https://imagebin.ca/v/5lgr0cUvBaAd

I'm just trying to get this to work on Windows. I really want to be able to use it on Ubuntu, but so far the results there are worse.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:25 am

That Ivanky link on Amazon says that HDMI to MiniDP does NOT work.

Mini DP ..X.. HDMI
Image <<<<< Image
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

DiagonalArg
Freshman Member

#5 Post by DiagonalArg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:58 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:25 am
That Ivanky link on Amazon says that HDMI to MiniDP does NOT work.

Mini DP ..X.. HDMI
Image <<<<< Image
@RBS - what that's showing is that the signal goes from the laptop to the monitor, but not in reverse. All adapters are unidirectional.

Sweater Fish Deluxe
Freshman Member

#6 Post by Sweater Fish Deluxe » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Do you have access to a monitor with DisplayPort in? If so, you should test on that first to make sure it's not a more basic problem with the video output on your T520.

I'd also try the DP-to-HDMI adapters you bought on a more standard monitor with HDMI to determine whether the problem is with the tolerances of the eInk display you're trying to drive.

Honestly, the adapters themselves being the issue would be my last guess given the semi-working image you're getting. Usually DP-to-HDMI adapters either work or else produce no image at all in my experience.

DiagonalArg
Freshman Member

#7 Post by DiagonalArg » Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:27 pm

Sweater Fish Deluxe wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:15 pm
Do you have access to a monitor with DisplayPort in? If so, you should test on that first to make sure it's not a more basic problem with the video output on your T520.
I've done that in the past with one of these W/T520; W/T530's, though I'm not sure which. I know it worked with one of them, but the other machines don't have Windows and linux is presenting it's own problems (I just get streaks across the screen). Also, I'm not going to be home until the end of January, and that's where all my other equipment is loacted. I'm limited to Amazon for the moment.
I'd also try the DP-to-HDMI adapters you bought on a more standard monitor with HDMI to determine whether the problem is with the tolerances of the eInk display you're trying to drive.
I've used the dock before with more standard monitors using their HDMI in. With the docks' HDMI out, IIUC that comes to the same thing - it's passing through to DP++. I did use that with this T520.
Honestly, the adapters themselves being the issue would be my last guess given the semi-working image you're getting. Usually DP-to-HDMI adapters either work or else produce no image at all in my experience.
Alright, thanks. I do have an old Xoom pad with me, which has a micro-HDMI out. If I can get an adapter for that, I might be able to at least confirm the display works.

(Boy these display connector standards are a bear to get a handle on. I had to do a *lot* of reading.)

atagunov

#8 Post by atagunov » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:51 pm

DiagonalArg wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 pm
I'm running Win10 on my T520, and trying to use an external HDMI monitor though the DisplayPort++ along with a *passive* adapter. The display is a Dasung PaperlikeHD (2019), and all I'm getting is a vague image and snow
Hi, T520 is a tried and tested laptop, DP -> HDMI adapters are pretty dumb/simple, however the Dasung here is a relatively new complicated and not very well tested piece of equipment. My bet - though I don't have anything to base it on - is that it is the Dasung that is misbehaving.. That's a shame I have myself been thinking of paring a Dasung with a T520 under Ubuntu.. I am wondering though if this particular Dasung may have issues or if it is generally a tricky thing to feed them.

Have you been able to select resolution in Windows that you're feeding to Dasung? Which resolution/display refresh rate have you chosen? What resolutions is the Dasung supposed to support? Have you tried lowering resolution and/or display refresh rate from Windows? Is it any better? Are you at least matching Dasung screen ratio with your resolution? Has this Dasung been proven to work with anything at all? Can it be just broken?

Also are you able to invoke screen menus from the Dasung itself? I've never used one but I thought there is quite an elaborate set of menus on them and that you can probably operate these menus via buttons on the unit itself, is that right? Do the menus show up? Does toggling anything in those menus make things better? Which "modes" have you tried?

Also I understand there is some optional software offered by Dasung for Windows. Have you tried it? Can it communicate with the display? Can it toggle anything? Can you toggle screen cleaning via this software?
X220, 2 *T520

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:15 am

Perhaps a Linux live USB can help diagnose the issue... if the problem persists on Linux, then the likelihood of a hardware issue increases.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

DiagonalArg
Freshman Member

#10 Post by DiagonalArg » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:27 pm

I just wanted to give the upshot of this ... I was unable to get the display working on Ubuntu or Windows. I just sold it to someone who is using it on their Mac, and it looked *really nice*. It was immediately plug-and-play. I was kind of jealous, but there's no way I'm leaving linux or my T/W52/30's. Perhaps at some point I'll get an ePaper pad or even a phone.

@atagunov - the software is for the previous version of the display. This one claims to need none.