Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

[Solved] SL500 sound button drivers?

SL300/SL400/SL500, L400-L420 and L500-L520 Series
ipso

[Solved] SL500 sound button drivers?

#1 Post by ipso » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Hi,

I just received a used ThinkPad SL500 with a clean install of Windows 7. The volume and IBM blue Access buttons do not work. I've done a full “Windows update” (with some 154 patches and new drivers and such), and I've gone to the Lenovo website and downloaded various BIOS/chipset/etc. drivers that are applicable to Windows 7 – however, in my meager research it seems this machine was never sold OEM with Windows 7. Only XP or all the Vista variants. I suppose it's possible Windows 7 (32) does not have specific drivers for the sound buttons? That can't be. I'm just not finding them and need a pointed finger and a pat on the head.

Also – loosely supporting the notion – I was not able to access the OEM hidden partition to do a complete OS reinstall back to factory spec – which seems like a very good idea when receiving a used machine – but I booted up Linux Mint 15 from a DVD and see there was a second 6GB “unallocated” partition. I went ahead and expanded the 270 or whatever to include the unallocated space. Hopefully I did not just destroy the OEM hidden partition. Those discs to replace it are like what?, $50?

I have the Microsoft sticker on the bottom of the laptop with a standard 5x5 character number – but there is no text designation telling me what OS that number gives license too. I don't suppose I can bang that number into a Microsoft website somewhere and have it tell me for sure what OS it's to?

1.) info on speaker button volume drivers please
2.) would an OEM hidden partition be “unallocated”??? (i.e. - did I just destroy it?)
3.) how do I tell what OS this 5x5 number supports? (I don't have a Win7 install disk to go check it on another drive)

Thanks!
Last edited by ipso on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: SL500 sound button drivers?

#2 Post by Neil » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:45 pm

1.) I think what you need is Hotkey Features Integration. And maybe the Win 7 patch for the same.

2.) Possibly, but probably not. I think the usual Win 7 installation creates two partitions, but I don't recall how the small one is labeled.

3.) Not that I have been able to find so far. I have a couple of ThinkPads with worn COAs also that I would like to determine what they are for certain.
Collection = T430 - T500 - R400 - X300 - T61 (14" WXGA+) - R61 (15" SXGA+) - T60 - X40 - T43p - T43 - T42p - A30P

ipso

#3 Post by ipso » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 pm

1.) –-> vol. buttons solved - which was the main thing. Thanks. (@&*% - I had read through one of the Hotkey Readme files, but somehow got averted.)

2.) Maybe Win7 install created that extra 6GB unallocated for swap space optimization or something. Whoops – gone now. I suspect I'll be fine without it. Haven't noticed a difference. (I'm only maybe a 2 on the Richtor scale of hardcore processor/disc use.)

-----

I now see I have one hw thing in my Device Manager that is “unknown”, and that I don't have a driver for. I look around the machine and everything I can think of is already accounted for.

I don't suppose someone knows that this might be? I did a search on all the text, and it's not the Power Management. Well... I've installed every power management app/driver/patch available on the Lenovo website – including 6aku05ww.exe. Maybe I have to tweak something else. Any additional hints are appreciated.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:28 am

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

ipso

#5 Post by ipso » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. I found that thread too by searching for “LEN0014”, and as a result had already downloaded and installed everything Win7 that would install, related to Power Management. The app/functions all seem flawless.

What I did just now was download and try to install all the NON Win7 drivers. Then right-clicking on the non-supported Devise Manage item and manually looking for the driver. The Internet search option still didn't find anything, but I pointed to the C:\DRIVERS directory and it was found. I did the process 1 at a time, so I believe it was this file. Even though the exe gave me a ”Cannot run on this System” error message, it still installed the drivers needed to c:\drivers.

- ghu704ww.exe (Power Manager for Windows XP) - 19 Apr 2013

Problem solved. Thanks for the ear.