Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Thinkpad L412 not turning on; Power LED blinks for half a sec without any beep

SL300/SL400/SL500, L400-L420 and L500-L520 Series
abirjin

Thinkpad L412 not turning on; Power LED blinks for half a sec without any beep

#1 Post by abirjin » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:53 am

My thinkpad has been causing me problems for a while now, first it wont boot into windows and kept showing unauthorized card in express card slot, had to disable in in I/O ports every other time i turned the laptop on. Then was getting a windows bluescreen regarding HDD fault. Ran diagnostics and founf HDD had now error. Ubuntu ran without any issues.

Now it refuses to turn on, when I press the power button it lights up for a moment and goes off. Have tried pulling battery and power cable and pressing on 10 times then hold for 30 secs on the 11th but to no avail. Laptop does not turn on. All and any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks
Abir

jbar2016

Re: Thinkpad L412 not turning on; Power LED blinks for half a sec without any beep

#2 Post by jbar2016 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:15 am

my best guess is that the bios in the laptop has been corrupted.

could be the motherboard, but the unauthorized pcie leads me to believe its bios related.

you may be able to get it back up temporarily if you pull the cmos battery, think its under the palmrest but check the bottom first...

you may only get one chance to boot it up so before you turn it on, get a dos copy of the bios update and burn to cd or usb, I also believe you can enter a bios load state but I have to look into that