Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

L512 : No more trackpoint and touchpad!

SL300/SL400/SL500, L400-L420 and L500-L520 Series
malademental

L512 : No more trackpoint and touchpad!

#1 Post by malademental » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:58 pm

Hello everybody! I have a L512 Thinkpad I bought last year on "LeBonCoin" (kind of "Craiglist" for France), to a guy that worked in a German company. I love it because it has a QWERTZ keyboard and it's really awesome for programming when you get used to it (on gnu typespeed it get better scores on the qwertz that I learned the last year that in azerty that I learned when I was young). But in December I accidentally spilled a glass of tea on the table I was working with the thinkpad and a small amount of the good liquid went onto the keyboard. I had to disassemble the laptop and reassemble it but when I switched it on it was like something was still pushing the power button and so in a few seconds the laptop would hard-stop. Now, 2 months later, I tried to reassemble it again, and the thinkpad is back to life, without rebooting. The only problem is that the touchpad and the trackpoint don't work! I checked with "lsusb" and "lspci" and it doesn't show any mouse device : so bad! I plugged every connectors and don't understand why I can't use my trackpoint! It runs Debian 8 "Jessie", amd64.

Thanks for answering, and see you soon ;)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: L512 : No more trackpoint and touchpad!

#2 Post by dr_st » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:02 pm

Try disconnecting the touchpad. If you are lucky, then just the touchpad is faulty, and the trackpoint can still work (I've seen situations where a faulty touchpad prevented the trackpoint from functioning).

Although based on your description it is more likely that you damaged the trackpoint. I've had it happen as well, following liquid spills.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

malademental

Re: L512 : No more trackpoint and touchpad!

#3 Post by malademental » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:31 pm

So bad because my trackpoint stopped working before I spilled the tea! Also now I'm transferring data to my desktop computer so I'll test that later !