Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R500 TP: No POST & Constant Reboot Based on LCD LEDs

R400/R500 Series
ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

R500 TP: No POST & Constant Reboot Based on LCD LEDs

#1 Post by ScottyBoy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 am

Evening All, I've got a wee bit of an issue with an R500 TP (2718-CTO/2718-WGB) and before I break it down into parts (for trading/selling) for my mate, I just wanted to run it past the members to see if they can recommend any additional trouble shooting steps.

Basically the R500 is owned by a friend, who had previously given it to his son to use for his school work - apparently the son was using it when 'something' happened and it died a death; it's current status is it appears to be constantly rebooting (no POST displayed) when connected to a mains power adapter based upon the status LEDS on the LCD Assembly and also no output to an external monitor (via a direct connection or by a docking station).

I got it handed over to me and thus far I've stripped it down to the bones, given it a thorough good cleaning (including the fan), all non-essential devices (i.e. Wifi Card, Optical Drive, HDD, etc) have been removed, CMOS battery has been replaced, confirmed working DDR3 DIMMs have been used along with 90w mains power adapters, new battery, checked the motherboard for signs of damage/scorch marks (none whatsoever), etc, etc.

I would assume based upon what I'm seeing the system board is dead but at the same time I do see the fan kick in during the constant rebooting cycle so I'm not a hundred percent sure that is the case...is there anything else I can do folks?

Any input is greatly appreciated. :)

ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

Re: R500 TP: No POST & Constant Reboot Based on LCD LEDs

#2 Post by ScottyBoy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:30 am

Bumping! :wink:

Smokestoomuch
Freshman Member

#3 Post by Smokestoomuch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:06 am

I've got the same machine doing the same thing. No beeps at all. It cycles through the green LED's for a while and then quits. It's a long shot, but look inside your ports and see if you can see some contacts shorting out. I once rescued a board that had a messed up USB slot.

ScottyBoy
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by ScottyBoy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:38 am

Turned out there were quite a lot of fuses blown on the MB and thankfully a cheap replacement (from China) came through to get it back up & running. :)