Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

R500 does not fall to sleep by itself

R400/R500 Series
danbrown

R500 does not fall to sleep by itself

#1 Post by danbrown » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:39 am

Hello,

I am a happy owner of a Thinkpad R500. I have a small issue with it, it does not go to sleep by itself.
Even though the Power Manager settings are set for it to go to sleep, it does not do that unless I manually tell it to sleep (or shut the lid).

Any ideas how I can solve that? It is running Windows Vista 32 and the Power Manager version is 3.05.
I tried setting it to sleep in the Vista power management tool and in the Lenovo Power Manager. It says it will go to sleep, but it doesn't.

Thank you!

dr_st
Admin
Admin

Re: R500 does not fall to sleep by itself

#2 Post by dr_st » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:57 pm

There are a number of applications that can prevent (whether by design or by error) the system idle timers from functioning. One example is media players (there it is by design, since you don't want your computer to fall asleep while playing a movie).

First thing I would do is double-check that you are on the correct power scheme and that the settings are as expected (there are separate settings for "on AC" and "on battery", among other things).

Next thing I would do is check if the computer succeeds to enter standby on its own after a clean boot with no applications running at all.

If that fails, I would start investigating the background services.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad