Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Latest upgrade to R500 that I bought Sept 2010

R400/R500 series specific matters only
tresho

Latest upgrade to R500 that I bought Sept 2010

#1 Post by tresho » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 pm

:D Just installed a 2TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD after imaging the earlier installed Seagate 1TB SSHD hybrid drive I have been using for years. The 1TB capacity has been almost used up with all the research material & OneNote notebooks I have created over the years, many GBs of stuff.
I used the free Seagate Acronis software to backup my original SSHD installation of Win7 Pro 64bit & my other software & data. That took a couple of hours on another machine. Then I "restored" the backup to the new SSD - which took over 12 hours, didn't make sense. I got a couple of transient "chkdsk" error messages (which I had never seen before) during the recovery phase, I was able to cancel their suggestions & continue with the recovery.
This seems to have worked. Booting up the R500 was extremely fast from the SSD, as expected. First boot I got a msg saying that Samsung driver for the SSD had to be installed - although the boot process otherwise looked OK. Then I rebooted with the new driver, and it went well.
My R500 seems like a new machine. Other upgrades prior to this point: my 3rd OEM keyboard, having worn out two previous keyboards with all the typing I've done. 8GB RAM. I tried installing Win10 Pro as an upgrade, it ran but just did not seem worth the learning curve for what I got. So I have stayed with Win 7 Pro 64 bit.
Re-ran Windows Experience Index. HDD performance went from 5.9 to 7.8, other scores basically unchanged from the prior case. Base score was unchanged at 3.4 due to built-in graphics limitation.
Just for information of anyone who might be interested.

TPFanatic
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Latest upgrade to R500 that I bought Sept 2010

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:50 pm

An EGPU might bump that 3.4 up a few notches. Unity has never looked better on my T500.
lenovo X230 i5 3320m IPS 8GB
lenovo T430 i5 3320m FHD 8GB
lenovo T430s i5 3230m QHD 8GB
lenovo T500 P9700 WUXGA 8GB

Enable 2 finger scroll on any Synaptics touchpads with registry: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=122612