Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 series specific matters only
Post Reply
Message
Author
ComputerMinder
Sophomore Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#1 Post by ComputerMinder » Sat May 05, 2012 4:28 am

Hi

I have seen some ultrabay part numbers don't mention they support SATA3 6gb speeds.

I have W520 with Intel 510 250gb SSD
But I want to have another Intel 510 250gb SSD installed instead of the DVD caddy drive.

Not 100 percent sure what's the right part numer. could anyone please help?

zsero
Freshman Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#2 Post by zsero » Tue May 15, 2012 3:24 am

ComputerMinder wrote:Hi

I have seen some ultrabay part numbers don't mention they support SATA3 6gb speeds.

I have W520 with Intel 510 250gb SSD
But I want to have another Intel 510 250gb SSD installed instead of the DVD caddy drive.

Not 100 percent sure what's the right part numer. could anyone please help?
Get this, the original Lenovo leaves a gap:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-hard-driv ... 0814491729

It's SATA3 6 Gb/s!

ComputerMinder
Sophomore Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#3 Post by ComputerMinder » Tue May 15, 2012 5:10 am

Thanks

davidhbrown
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:26 pm
Location: Kingston, RI

Re: Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#4 Post by davidhbrown » Tue May 15, 2012 3:43 pm

I haven't seen any hint of circuitry in either the Lenovo caddy or in the cheap third-party caddy. I'm pretty sure they just reroute the connector leads over a very small PCB, so any SATA 2 vs 3 capabilities would be the same for any such device.
W520 (2820QM, Q2000M, FHD, mSATA SSD, dock)
Previous: T61p (died 1m past warranty :-(), Dell 8600, iBook ("Dual USB"), Gateway Millennium, Macintosh G4 , PowerPC Mac clone, Mac Duo 210, iBook (clamshell), Quadra 630, Mac IIsi, C-128, C-64, Vic-20

zsero
Freshman Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#5 Post by zsero » Tue May 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Yes, the caddy is acting like a SATA cable, so it doesn't change. The important information is that the caddy is actually connected to the SATA3 port, and not to the SATA2 port, like with some manufacturers.

ComputerMinder
Sophomore Member
Posts: 198
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:29 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Re: Re: Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#6 Post by ComputerMinder » Wed May 16, 2012 6:57 am

zsero wrote:Yes, the caddy is acting like a SATA cable, so it doesn't change. The important information is that the caddy is actually connected to the SATA3 port, and not to the SATA2 port, like with some manufacturers.
Can you please tell me what's the most accurate way to know for sure it's in SATA3 mode?

zsero
Freshman Member
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:46 pm
Location: Edinburgh, UK

Re: Re: Partnumber for W520 Ultrabay caddy SATA3 6Gb/sec

#7 Post by zsero » Wed May 16, 2012 7:32 am

ComputerMinder wrote:Can you please tell me what's the most accurate way to know for sure it's in SATA3 mode?
Just test it's speed:
Image

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “ThinkPad W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests