Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

W520 not charging battery

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
criza

W520 not charging battery

#1 Post by criza » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:53 am

Hello!

So my W520 was randomly restarting. I took my old battery out and the problem stopped. I ordered a new battery, and now noticed that the W520 doesn't charge it! The capacity was around 60% and the battery worked until it was empty.

Now I tried two different chargers (yes, 170W), I tried to charge it while running, or when the laptop was off. I also tried to charge the battery in my docking station. Noone of it worked.

I contacted support but they couldn't help really, just told me to send it in, which would be too expensive for me. They only said vaguely that they couldn't imagine that it'll be because of the motherboard.

I would appreciate it a lot if anyone could point out the problem. Thank you.

davide136

Re: W520 not charging battery

#2 Post by davide136 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:59 am

Working with refurbished product for 3 y now and saw that sometimes batteries just make pc act odd.. but this is not the problem, i think the problem here is lenovo power management APP, not the driver..if you installed in the past or is installed now or has been installed before you bought the pc, it probably updated the firmware of the chip that controls the battery behavior. I tested it personally with a co worker, if this happens, 80% of compatible batteries around the market stops working, and you need to buy an OEM one, wich is quadruple in money... or even more.. they simply don't charge anymore and even if you uninstall power manager it will never work again.