Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

whats the best Hard drive model and Dvd/cd/ internal drive can upgrade W520 quadcore.

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
upgrades

whats the best Hard drive model and Dvd/cd/ internal drive can upgrade W520 quadcore.

#1 Post by upgrades » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 am

Looking to upgrade my hard drive samsung ssd 500gb to the top of the line ssd or sata.
Something that will be stable very fast and indestructible.

My w520 has a no front label/info lenovo cd dvd burner drive..can i get better for long term recording and long hour use? Id like top quality recordings no music loss. Any recommendations?

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: whats the best Hard drive model and Dvd/cd/ internal drive can upgrade W520 quadcore.

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:11 am

In your (music) case I would buy a CDRW/DVDRW in full size (such as used in a desktop), complete with a powered enclosure for it, to hook up via USB to your W520.
The biggest current drive would be a 2TB SSHD Seagate Firecuda, such as this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6822179110
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

upgrades

Re: whats the best Hard drive model and Dvd/cd/ internal drive can upgrade W520 quadcore.

#3 Post by upgrades » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:25 am

is Bara cuda the ultimate in hard drives? Better than anything by Wd, samsung or intel. I believe One of the better samsungs offers 10 year warranty.

upgrades

#4 Post by upgrades » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:In your (music) case I would buy a CDRW/DVDRW in full size (such as used in a desktop), complete with a powered enclosure for it, to hook up via USB to your W520
any particular brand or model to look for? Looking for audiophile quality recordings

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#5 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:00 pm

This is the exact SATA enclosure that I use: http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/5alexenforsa.html
For a drive look at this: https://www.lifewire.com/best-sata-dvd-burners-832424
I have last year's model Samsung SH222BB/BEBE

If that Firecuda is the best, I don't know, but read Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10760/sea ... gb-of-nand

hellosailor

#6 Post by hellosailor » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:14 am

If the OP is still looking...
I gave up on Seagate after more than one too many DOA's. And a recent "died on the shelf" WD drive has made me question what's going on there too. I think the hard drive industry has seen too much financial pressure and the coming of SSDs to replace them. Seagate's return to offering a 5-year warranty on some of those Firecuda's seems like they are acknowledging a lack of faith from the buyers.

The top-line Samsung SSDs are supposed to be the fastest out there, but their second tier, or Crucial's less expensive drives, are still wicked fast. If your operations are really drive intensive (as opposed to processor-bound regardless of drive speed) the top Samsung SSD's might make a difference, but it is so slight...something like 590K writes per second instead of 580k writes?

I went with Crucial. Have had great service & little need for support with them for decades. An SSD is 'memory' and that's always been Crucial's business. The drives are 7.x mm thick, so they'll fit in just about anything, capacities up to 2TB.
"The only good silicon life form, is a dead silicon life form." [Will Rogers]
-- Harboring a retired T61P with Vista/U/32 and housebreaking a younger W530 foolishly upgraded from Win7/64 to Win10.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:14 am

It might be very expensive but Samsung makes a HUGE 3.84TB SSD for rock solid performance and indestructibility compared to the Seagate SSHD.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.