Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Monitor blacking out

W500/510/520 and W700/710 series specific matters only
Renz

Monitor blacking out

#1 Post by Renz » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi there,

This is an update to that earlier post fwded below this text, the black out flickerings disappeared for all that time, but now they are back for good, and to a point that makes it impossible to work at all.

The issue occurs only on the integrated display, that is

I have found a workaround and it works a treat, I scaled down the resolution to 1380x768 for time being, however I would be interested if there was a way to identify what is happening and hopefully find a reliable way to fix it.

Not sure if the driver is to be blamed but it's the version 9.17.10.4459 Intel Sandy Bridge-MB GT2+ - Integrated Graphics Controller [D2/J1/Q0] [Lenovo]
Monitor Name: Lenovo B156HW01 V4
Monitor Hardware ID: Monitor\LEN40B2

It could also be the way it is configured by default however I had a look in the graphic properties however everything looked conform to my knowledge.

Thanks

Original post:

See this thread if you want to know my specs : viewtopic.php?p=792449,#792449

Yes so it looks like the intel graphics is running a muck now. It flashes black for a few seconds then back to normal, every couple of minutes.

Is it the bit where I have to change my motherboard

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

Re: Monitor blacking out

#2 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Just a suggestion but have you tried an external USB display driver like USB to DVI? Try that and see if it still blacks out. Also, when it blacks out, does the screen recognize the screen but goes black or like you pulled out the cable and put it back in?
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Renz

#3 Post by Renz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:07 pm

I haven't. What's your theory?

Renz

#4 Post by Renz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi there,

This is a major issue, can we please get some advice.

Thanks a thousand.

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 pm

Renz wrote:I haven't. What's your theory?
Usb monotpr drovers are cpu driven, not gpu, and therefore dont conflict with GPU issues which may be occuring.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

n2ri
Freshman Member

#6 Post by n2ri » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:30 pm

I own both T61 running xp and a w500 running win7 the T61 done this for a bit when I was opening/closing lid when shutting down or to get something behind it, since I stopped doing that as much problem stopped. also I was running Comodo anti virus and it auto upgraded (not the update for definitions but version upgrade) well Comodo stopped making freeware for any OS so it just assumes since MS only supports win 10 now that thats the only Windows OS being used. yep you guessed it. it installed te win 10 version over my win xp os and caused all sorts of bad issues/conflicts, including but not limited to false startups requiring multiple hard shut downs to regain use of laptop and apps, screwy new issues wit several laptop functions and apps. took me over a month to pin it down to last Comodo update/grade. lucky for me I always save install exe for any app installed from download as the old version was no longer on their web site. I uninstalled new ver and reinstalled old one and everything went back to normal. I bet other companies will be doing this since win 10 is only MS OS supported now, they should at least check and notify users b4 doing such a dumb thing automaticly. also Comodo has no free apps anymore they start at $10 and up. another reason I have a folder of install apps of programs I like to use backed up. so either the lid contact strip was loose or Comodos screwup caused my display flicker. I did get an extra display for backup too in case since I plan to keep my TPs instead of getting a new POS China junk brand that will never last long enough to become outdated LOL heck still got my TP 701c/s with upgraded MB to 133mhz and 3gb HDD, 40mb ram, win95-98 etc that work fine just not so much online anymore at 56k speed ROFLMAO. got lots of cool history on my TPs and accs. only took $10 to get started on my addiction to IBM TPs still looking for an W520 for my final upgrade as tats the last model (and w700s) b4 China/Lenovo went commando on future spartan models.

Mitch

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:31 pm

Please make this post READable!

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#8 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:05 pm

What, so what did you say. Did it work? What is that thing with the 701C/S. RBS is right, its pretty unREADable.

Renz

#9 Post by Renz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Hey there,

Here is an update: My computer repair man has tried to run the unit with a generic LCD screen from the internal port of the motherboard and it seems to be running fine... I'm thinking of ordering a new screen to fix that. Any thoughts?

Thinkpad4by3
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#10 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:16 am

Renz wrote:Hey there,

Here is an update: My computer repair man has tried to run the unit with a generic LCD screen from the internal port of the motherboard and it seems to be running fine... I'm thinking of ordering a new screen to fix that. Any thoughts?
A seller on eBay is selling NOS 701C LCDs for 25$ a pop. Grab one of those ad youre set.

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by RealBlackStuff » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:22 am

Why would anyone want to put a 701C screen on a W520?
This would be by far better: B156HW01 V.4 from a reliable seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/292252028070