Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

VBIOS extraction with nvflash

W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series
as.nielo
Freshman Member

#1 Post by as.nielo » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 am

Hi, I was playing with the freeware tool nvflash and was impressed by amount settings one could possibly apply to the GPU unit. The problem is my Lenovo FX3700M is not recognized by this program, so I cant set anything.

I wonder if it’s my unit fault or it is more general issue?
Last edited by as.nielo on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Screamer

Re: VBIOS extraction with nvflash

#2 Post by Screamer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:45 am

It might have something to do with your Quadro FX 3700M's incompatible EEPROM that stores the BIOS image, but I am not very sure of that.

I have a question, though. Is there a need to play around with the video BIOS to modify a setting? When I do see people flashing different video BIOS images, it is to improve performance by increasing their clock speeds (in which you already can do that, via MSI Afterburner), or to overvolt or undervolt their graphics cards for lower power consumption or higher clock speeds. Additionally, the other case would be a need to change the video RAM's memory timings.

as.nielo
Freshman Member

#3 Post by as.nielo » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:43 am

I’m coping with a similiar issue. After long period of trials and errors I finally stumbed upon a table with proper clocks/voltage settings in FX3700M VBIOS. According to it the factory set voltage for performance level mode is 1V while my cards VBIOS has it set to 1,03V.

I suspect this little extra potential causes my laptop to shutdown while working on battery. Interestingly, linux with noveau driver doesn’t suffer from this issue but graphics processing is way slower than in Windows.

No software I try would allow to change the voltage settings of this card. It’s always greyed out, also the fan speed settings. I think stock BIOS is preventing changing these values.

I have dumped the VBIOS (gpu-z, three clicks) and tweaked voltage bits with Nibitor tool. Just like the OPs issue, the nvflash refuses to write it (no nvidia display adapters detected). I’m going to try and program the vbios externally. I suspect the chip with MX print but if anybody can point me to be sure, I’ll appreciate it.

RMSMajestic

Re: VBIOS extraction with nvflash

#4 Post by RMSMajestic » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:22 pm

on W700 and W701 the onboard vBIOS is only used for matching with the corresponding vBIOS integrated in sBIOS I think...
Chobits: W701ds i7-940|32G|FX3800m|Digitizer|Calibrator
Big ones: W701 top config T63p QX9300|8G|UXGA T61p dead, please go die as well nVIDIA
Small ones: X61sp P8800X61t SXGA X201 NIB
86 airplane models/ 27 ships/ 21 computers/ 300GB databases/ 0 girlfriend
It's always happier to live in lies and delusions.

Return to “ThinkPad W500/W510/W520 and W700/W701 Series”