Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Does R60 support the Turbo Memory card?

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
skimanatduke

Does R60 support the Turbo Memory card?

#1 Post by skimanatduke » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:31 am

First off, wanted to say I'm a long-time viewer and first-time poster... this forum has been invaluable, from replacing backlights on the UXGA of my old T21p all the way to seeing if any of the units my co-workers have retired of late could be BIOS-modded to take a QuadCore :)

On to the Q here: My family has an R60 that we've long-used as a HTPC (its got the seemingly rare BluRay drive in the UltraBay, which works great in tandem with VGA out to a homemade 1920x1200 LCD projector, an Audigy ZS notebook card, and Klipsch THX 5.1 speakers). I've recently come across a Turbo Memory card from a T61 that doesn't really need it (its got 8GB and an SSD) and was just wondering if I could possibly help this oldie be a bit faster. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Does R60 support the Turbo Memory card?

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:45 am

1. The Turbo memory card is a PCIe device that plugs into the T61/R61/X61 WWAN slot. Unfortunately, the R60's WWAN slot is USB-only (no PCIe signals).
2. The Turbo memory card provides little benefit, as tested by various tech websites. Furthermore, some users in this forum reported Windows BSoDs (Blue Screen of Death) crashes when the Turbo memory card was installed. Once the card was removed, the BSoDs disappeared.
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry: