Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

No reaction for charger or power button R60 IBM Lenovo type 9461-DXG

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
seba86

No reaction for charger or power button R60 IBM Lenovo type 9461-DXG

#1 Post by seba86 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Hello, I'm new on this forum, today I came across problem with my IBM Lenovo R60.
I was working on it on battery (it was still charged) , i put it into bag and drove to another location, when i take it out it won't power on.
There is no reaction on power-button press. No LED, no fan spin, not any sound just like it was absolutely dead.
I don't think drove kill it, i just think it's a bad coincidence... i tried put it into "freezer" for a while - to detect if problem might be in a dry joints caused by mechanical stress or vibration - but it won't help.

I connect charger, and there is no reaction - no LED, no charging indicator (in normal scenario there was blinking LED of charging - here is not).
I tried take in, out battery, i tried remove cmos battery - also no change.
I tried removing, dvd from multibay, i remove memory and re-seat, i remove hdd
no reaction, no charging and no power on.

I know You don't have any crystal ball but is there any starting point where i can try diagnose problem?

In case motherboard is failed, where i can find model number just for motherboard?

I liked that device... it's aged i know but it's a good piece of history.

Any ideas would be great
Regards

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

Re: No reaction for charger or power button R60 IBM Lenovo type 9461-DXG

#2 Post by BillMorrow » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:58 pm

hello and welcome to the forum..
re your non responsive issue, i would first take a look at the hardware maintenance manual for your thinkpad..
it will be helpful with part numbers and the like..
in the banner above you will see "HMM".. click there.. :)
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

seba86

#3 Post by seba86 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks for input but that was mi first choice, but sadly in HMM when "no power" issue only answer is to replace system board.
I validate that charger is working.
I will consider buying a R60 with for example broken screen, but i can see there are lot of different boards built in graphics, external, with fingerprint or without. I'm getting confused about that what model i could buy to swap mobo.

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

#4 Post by ajkula66 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 pm

seba86 wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:37 pm
Thanks for input but that was mi first choice, but sadly in HMM when "no power" issue only answer is to replace system board.
I validate that charger is working.
I will consider buying a R60 with for example broken screen, but i can see there are lot of different boards built in graphics, external, with fingerprint or without. I'm getting confused about that what model i could buy to swap mobo.
On the bottom of the laptop there's a sticker containing a production date, serial number AND a 7-digit code, likely starting in 945*, known as MTM.

Take that code, click on the "MTM" link at the top of the page and you'll get the original specs for your R60. Share it here and we'll try to help.

Good luck.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

seba86

#5 Post by seba86 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:40 pm

The MTM is: 9461-DXG
Original specs is:

Code: Select all

T5600(1.83GHz), 1GB RAM, 100GB 5400rpm HD, 15in 1400x1050 LCD, 128MB ATI Radeon X1400, CDRW/DVDRW, Intel 802.11abg wireless, 
Bluetooth/Modem, 1Gb Ethernet, UltraNav, Secure chip, IEEE 1394, Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Pro
Does screen size, type affect type motherboard?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:22 pm

Screen size does, but screen type does not.

14.1" and 15" 4:3 units use the same boards.
14.1" 16:10 boards
15.4" 16:10 boards
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

Screamer

#7 Post by Screamer » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 am

seba86 wrote:
You could buy the motherboard alone, and perform the swap that way. It should be easier to get the motherboard alone than to hunt down an R60 that shares the same configuration as your R60 does. Also, the correct motherboard FRU for your R60 is 42W2583 or 42W7725.

To be honest, I can't find that motherboard FRU anywhere. Try posting a Want-To-Buy (WTB) or a Looking-For (LF) topic in the forum's marketplace, someone might probably have a spare motherboard in storage.

seba86

#8 Post by seba86 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 pm

Screamer wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:56 am
seba86 wrote:
You could buy the motherboard alone, and perform the swap that way. It should be easier to get the motherboard alone than to hunt down an R60 that shares the same configuration as your R60 does. Also, the correct motherboard FRU for your R60 is 42W2583 or 42W7725.

To be honest, I can't find that motherboard FRU anywhere. Try posting a Want-To-Buy (WTB) or a Looking-For (LF) topic in the forum's marketplace, someone might probably have a spare motherboard in storage.
You have right, it was hard to find a proper motherboard.
I bought one from 14 inch model, without fingerprint but after replacement, fingerprint is working fine - i think it's connected via USB along trackpoint so it's not motherboard dependent.
Motherboard was less wide, so i was unable to connect multibay and there was missing S-VIDEO port and lack of firewire onboard controller.

Except of that, R60 is working again:)
I wish i know what power management component failed on that board, i would replace it.
I know it's a ghetto solution but it's working so case closed.

Thank You for supporting me