Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Ethernet problem on a R51

R, A, G and Z series specific matters only. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
ecapdeville

Ethernet problem on a R51

#1 Post by ecapdeville » Tue May 05, 2020 10:02 pm

Hi! This is my first post here!

My first thinkpad was a used T440s and suddenly I started to love them. I just buyed a really clean and beautifull R51, I erased the HD (that had windows 7 installed) and installed a clean R51 XP Pro installation with the recovery discs. I want to say that is a pleasing thing to work with it. I am posting this using it!

I have just one problem, the ethernet connection doesn't want to work, I have plenty of computers (PC and Macs) at home and everyone works great with my ethernet network. When I connect it, it shows the IP and DNS and everything seems fine but I only got no internet navigation. I'm glad that the Wifi works great so I can use it but the darn cable just doesn't want to work.

I hope someone can help me with this problem, I am super happy with the R51!

Greetings from Mexico

Eduardo Capdeville

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Ethernet problem on a R51

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue May 05, 2020 11:46 pm

After downloading the drivers and double-clicking the download,
you must go to C:>Drivers>Win>Ethernet and run the setup.exe file from there.
NOT a great day for a Guinness! (the Real Black Stuff).
Ireland is on FULL lockdown till December 2020!
Covid-19: Mask it or Casket!
Check out The Boardroom for Mods and Other Services.

MikalE
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#3 Post by MikalE » Wed May 06, 2020 8:36 am

Or you may have a security protocol problem with your router that will refuse the connection from an XP computer that does not allow you to select the correct security protocol in the driver software.

My A31p is such a system. I had to buy a Wi-Fi dongle with the correct protocol in the driver before my router would allow the connection. As soon as that driver was loaded it connected after entering the password to my router.

My computer could see the router and was assigned an IP automatically, but the router would not allow the connection unless I turned off the security protocol of the router. That was not an option. It connected after turning it off, but I was not going to run my home network without security.

It is happily running along just fine with the correct security now. It does suck up a USB port, but I am only using one other for a wireless mouse.
A31p P-IV 2Ghz, 2MB, 2653-R6U
T500 T9600 2055-BE9
T510 i5 4384-DV7
T510 i7 4349-A64
T520 i7QM 4242-4UU Highly Modified

ecapdeville

#4 Post by ecapdeville » Wed May 06, 2020 12:45 pm

Thank you so much!

I've been trying to erase and install different drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/100 VE network card but nothing works. I noticed that the green light at the network connection is permanently on and that is not receiving any data.

I will stay using just wifi with this for some time, I am starting to think that this is a hardware problem. Is the network adapter a card? or does it comes in the motherboard?

Thanks again

omero72

#5 Post by omero72 » Fri May 29, 2020 5:52 pm

ecapdeville wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 12:45 pm
Thank you so much!

I've been trying to erase and install different drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/100 VE network card but nothing works. I noticed that the green light at the network connection is permanently on and that is not receiving any data.

I will stay using just wifi with this for some time, I am starting to think that this is a hardware problem. Is the network adapter a card? or does it comes in the motherboard?

Thanks again
I own an R51 windows XP too and it never had an ethernet problem ever. what about the device manager? have you looked at it to check if the ethernet device is working properly?

the ethernet card is soldered to the mainboard.