Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

The best processer and fan that can be put in an R51, other then the Pentium?

R, A, G and Z series specific matters only. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
ioixd

The best processer and fan that can be put in an R51, other then the Pentium?

#1 Post by ioixd » Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Hi!

My R51 is my main laptop, and while I'm currently fine with the 1.5GHz Pentium M, I think it would be interesting to get a CPU that operates at speeds higher then 1.7GHz and has at least two cores. I got my hopes up when I thought I could put a Core 2 Extreme in here, but it turns out I was wrong on the socket type initially. Regardless, it would be interesting to get the computer to boot up faster and maybe feel snappier (though again, to be fair, I'm fine with 1.5GHz). Now, obviously the hotter the processor, the hotter the laptop, and eventually the laptop can catch fire. That's why I'm also curious if there's a heat-sink that's much better then the R51's stock one that can handle a greater CPU. Even if I can't get a better CPU, I'd still like a better heatsink so I can boost the laptop to 1.7GHz without it getting very hot on my lap.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

dr_st

Re: The best processer and fan that can be put in an R51, other then the Pentium?

#2 Post by dr_st » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

Please specify your location in the profile, per the forum rules.

Unfortunately, this laptop will only take Pentium M CPUs, up to 2.1GHz. Nothing dual-core.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad, A21m 2628-GXU

Screamer

Re: The best processer and fan that can be put in an R51, other then the Pentium?

#3 Post by Screamer » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:14 am

ioixd wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:04 pm
Now, obviously the hotter the processor, the hotter the laptop, and eventually the laptop can catch fire.
The maximum operating temperature that is allowed for a Banias Pentium M is 100 C, and once it reaches that temperature, the processor will slow down by underclocking itself. If the temperature is still within the 'danger zone', it would probably engage its internal clock modulation logic to further reduce heat.

In the case that both of these methods fail to reduce the temperature, the processor will be forcibly shut down as a last resort, along with the entire machine.
ioixd wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:04 pm
That's why I'm also curious if there's a heat-sink that's much better then the R51's stock one that can handle a greater CPU. Even if I can't get a better CPU, I'd still like a better heatsink so I can boost the laptop to 1.7GHz without it getting very hot on my lap.
FRU 26R8198 and 26R9542 would be what you need, however those parts are not common. Which leads me to say that the only feasible way to obtain them, would be to disassemble an R52 with a Mobility Radeon X300.

You could use the heatsink assembly from a T42p (FRU 13R2657) or a T43p (FRU 26R9074) as well, but there would be a small gap left by the heatsink assemblies as they are slightly shorter in height.