Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Issue with IDE mSATA adapters in R52 (1860)

R30/R40, A30/A31, G40/G50 and Z60/Z61 Series. NOT for AMD-Ryzen.
bammac

Issue with IDE mSATA adapters in R52 (1860)

#1 Post by bammac » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

Got a little hooked on restoring some IBM ThinkPads T60 (8741) and R52 (1860), and went to town upgrading the systems with new batteries, CMOS batteries, RAM, HDDs etc.

The upgrades for T60 was pretty smooth, however the R52 has given me some grief... specifically the hard disk upgrade.

The original drive in the machine was clicking away so that was on its last legs, I ordered a Seagate replacement and thought it was on the "nice list" list to deal with the peculiarities of the this model accepting only certain "IBM approved" IDE Hard drives. Anyway I hit the infamous 2010 bios error and eventually stumbled onto the unofficial bios upgrade. After all that was sorted, I then had a working drive and was able to fully complete the the R&R recovery process back to factory fresh.

My next plan was to keep the working Seagate drive as a backup and do a clean install of the new drive via the IDE mSATA solution, here is where I ran into the issues:

1. I first order a cheap and cheerful IDE/mSATA case from Amazon and installed a Dogfish 256Gb mSATA drive into that.
2. I was able to format the drive to NTFS via Paragon for Mac and I could move files to an from the drive no problem.
3. The plastic case on the enclosure ran a bit high, so I removed that and was able to mount to adapter the caddy fine to ensure everything still lined up.
4. Once installed, I noticed the drive lights would not light up once the machine was switched on, nor was the machine detecting the drive. My thought was the adapter was not a match power wise, as its fine when connected to a 5v powered USB hub.
5. So back to Amazon where I then purchased a more robust/expensive ABLECOM adapter. This time I had a little more success, in that the machine would power the adapter and the drive was detectable. However it also caused an issue where the CD/DVD drive would take an age to load data or just eventually time out. It's like the drive was drawing TOO much power now.

It meant that when I try to run R&R with the mSATA adapter installed, it would copy over files from the boot disk and sort of fail/restart/try again, before it ever gets to the next disk. Installing a clean copy of Windows XP is the same outcome in that it starts to install but ultimately grinds to a halt.

If I put the newly minted Seagate HDD back in, everything goes back to normal. So I'm a little stuck as what to do to try and get this adapter to work. Or do I need to try another option? I know cloning the drive is one option, however it won't resolve the power issue either.

I know there is a SATA mod for the R52, however I can't make heads or tails over the instructions as some links have long died and others are in German.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

axur-delmeria
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Issue with IDE mSATA adapters in R52 (1860)

#2 Post by axur-delmeria » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:29 am

IIRC the T43 is close enough to the R52. Maybe this T43 SATA mod guide can help:

http://mikejmoffitt.com/articles/0000-t43sata.html
Planned Purchase: T480s i5-8350 FHD Touch
Impulse Buy: Thinkpad not named for safety reasons :lol:
RIP: X220 4291-C91 X61 7676-A24 760XD-U9E :cry:

bammac

#3 Post by bammac » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:38 am

axur-delmeria wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:29 am
IIRC the T43 is close enough to the R52. Maybe this T43 SATA mod guide can help:

http://mikejmoffitt.com/articles/0000-t43sata.html
It's probably outside my skillset... it also tapers off some of the details towards the end. There is no specifics on installing the SATA bridge to complete the install. I'm likely to make a mess of it, if I don't have the required detail to complete. Its still 50/50 even if I had the detail!

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#4 Post by RealBlackStuff » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:02 am

Since you have the Intel R52, you need this picture:
After removing the Silicon chip, solder the B- and B+ wires to the matching (circled) resistors.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)

solidpro

#5 Post by solidpro » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:58 am

On anything IBM-branded that isn't native SATA, i've given up on anything IDE->SATA because of countless hours wasted trying to get them to work.

I'd suggest a 2.5" IDE->CF adaptor and a fast IDE100 industrial CF card.

cheers
http://Ret.Rocks - Rare Used & Restored Vintage Computing for Sale!
Wanted: 220, 315D, 320, 350x, 355x, 500, 510, 530CS, 730TE, 750P, 755CD, Any 8xx Series, A20p, A21p, A22p, A31p, T40p
Currently For Sale (Restored): 560Z, 380Z, T20, T21, T22, R61, R51