Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

X31, Windows-7, and Bluetooth

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
tpg

X31, Windows-7, and Bluetooth

#1 Post by tpg » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:24 pm

I have about 20 X31's for my class, so just know I'm not new to the Thinkpads. Have all of them to the latest BIOS (3.02).

Have them all running Windows-7, 32-bit, with SSDs (using IDE to mSATA converters).

Installed a 39T0026 modem card in place of the 91P7657 ... and everything I read says this should be a modem card WITH bluetooth. Yet when I look at the devices on the system (Computer, Manage), I see no bluetooth ... nor any card with a yellow exclamation point. When I run the EXE that installs bluetooth, it says I don't have it.

Confused ???!!!!

Am I forced to run a dongle?

RealBlackStuff
Admin
Admin

Re: X31, Windows-7, and Bluetooth

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:11 pm

That might be too new a BT-version.
You need 91P7315 for a modem with BT for in an X31.

PS: I have two very nice X31 machines lying around, PM me if interested.

tpg

Re: X31, Windows-7, and Bluetooth

#3 Post by tpg » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Solved.

Thought about an "RF signal off" feature, but could not find one in the BIOS, OS, or keyboard.

Found one of my laptops did originally come from the factory (only the 2672-J7U, JXU, JHU, or JBU came with the BlueTooth option installed). But again, the BT in that would not run ... so I spent about 4 hours trying different combinations. Finally found a 'readme' file that reminded me to press Fn/F5 to turn on the BlueTooth ... and on the JHU optioned X31, the keyboard does have the F5 shown as an RF signal. Press that Fn/F5 combo and came right on.

Went back to an X31 without BT originally installed (thus, no antenna) installed the BT/Modem card. But because it did not have BT originally installed, there is no icon on the keyboard ... but pressed Fn/F5 and BT immediately came on.