Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

"Your power plan information isn't available. The handle is invalid."

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

"Your power plan information isn't available. The handle is invalid."

#1 Post by TPFanatic » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:59 am

For no reason after installing Power Manager 6 the subject text appeared in my Windows Power Options. Pressing Fn+F3 in Lenovo Power Manager yields another odd message:

"You are not authorized to display the panel for selecting a power plan."

The error removes your ability to select, create, modify, and even display plans (the current plan included) in Windows or Lenovo.

There are lots of suggestions to go to the registry editor and purge duplicate Lenovo plans but that's not the issue here. The other option is to reinstall Windows which I'm not going to do after I just installed it....

In case you get this issue, the solution for me was to go to Windows Device Manager, System devices, right click on ACPI Fixed Feature Button and uninstall it, reboot, and then everything is working again.

Makes no sense at all but there you go!!

Edit: I take it back it's broken again. I'll uninstall Power Manager and see what happens.
Edit #2: Without Power Manager everything functions normally. So I'll install it again and hope everything clears up.
Edit #3: After installing the latest PM again, the problems return. So I'll try an older version of PM and hope that works.
Edit #4: I jumped back to the latest Power Manager 3 and not having any issues yet so I guess it's PM3 for this computer...

jdrou

Re: "Your power plan information isn't available. The handle is invalid."

#2 Post by jdrou » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:46 am

Was this just an issue with the function key or did it affect opening Power Manager manually too?
Which Thinkpad model was this on?
Current Thinkpads:
X31, X40, X61T, X61, X201, X220 (i7 IPS), W520 (FHD), T440p (FHD),
T480 (QHD)
Dells: Latitude C840, Precision M70, Precision M4400, M6400 (WUXGA), M6600, M6700, 7730, XPS 13
Daily driver: MS Surface Pro 7 (i7)

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by TPFanatic » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:13 pm

I could open Power Manager but all the power plans were gone and there was nothing to change in any of the dropdown menus.

Laptop was an Nvidia T410 with a freshly recovered from Lenovo recovery CDs Windows 7 environment, with all important Windows updates applied. I installed Power Manager 6 as I usually do but unlike the other laptops I've done this on, this one decided to be stupid.

Coincidentally I'm also running it without a battery since I have none other to use at the moment....

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#4 Post by w0qj » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:49 am

Hi TPFanatic, (nice handle name!)

Not to state the obvious, but did you try to uninstall/reinstall the latest Lenovo Power Manager Driver, and with the battery attached to your T410?
Perhaps that would help...

I have personally used Win7 Pro Recovery Disks to reinstall on my T410 (more than 10 times--more times than I would like to admit) over the 6+ years, and have never seen the error you have described. And I have always had my battery attached to my T410.

Good luck!
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by TPFanatic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:13 pm

I did install the latest driver after the issue appeared, but haven't tried fully un and re installing it yet. That's a good idea and I'll try it.

I actually don't have a battery on me right now, but if I get one I'll definitely see if fitting it helps. I do have some T500-compatible batteries though, if there's anyway to run a cable between them....

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:29 pm

Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by TPFanatic » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:47 pm

I regret to inform that the error has reappeared even with Power Manager 3.

I will do a complete uninstall and reinstall of the PM driver. The laptop is currently plugged into a TV so I can't debug it right now, but this is my plan.

edit:

For some reason I don't have an option for uinstalling the PM driver... but I have uninstalled Access Connections and Power Manager again then reinstalled both through System Update, maybe whatever got screwed up will clear up now?

More testing will be done.

GomJabbar

#8 Post by GomJabbar » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:03 pm

See if the info in this thread is any help: Can not install/uninstall Power Manager on T43p with win 7
DKB