Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

DVi Monitor not registering on cold boot

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
SurrealMustard
Sophomore Member

DVi Monitor not registering on cold boot

#1 Post by SurrealMustard » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:58 am

Okay, this isn't actually a ThinkPad question specifically, but I know we've got a lot of knowledgeable Windows folks here, and the Dell Precision in question is somewhat similar to a comparably-sized ThinkPad :wink: .

Anyway, here's the issue. The laptop is in a dock, which is connected to a DVi monitor and a Plugable Uga (USB DisplayLink) monitor adapter. When the computer is cold booted, the primary DVi monitor refuses to register with Windows. When this happens, my desktop is simply spanned across the laptop's screen and the DisplayLink monitor as if the DVi monitor isn't even there. The problem is easily solved by either restarting the computer, re-docking, disconnecting the DVi monitor and plugging it back in, or by shutting down the computer and starting it back up.

It's not just cold boots though - if the computer has been in standby for any length of time, (maybe an hour or more?) it will also "lose track" of the DVi monitor by the time it wakes back up. I'd imagine that hibernate is the same way. Here's the funny thing though: if the computer is in standby or shut down for only a short period of time, (a few minutes, for example) the monitor will come back just fine when the computer is resumed from standby or cold booted. The only thing I haven't tried is cold booting without the DisplayLink adapter plugged in to rule that out as a source of interference (I'll try it tomorrow and report back).

Any ideas as to what could cause this or how to fix it? If it makes any difference, the system in question is a Dell Precision M6400 with a Nvidia Quadro FX 3700M and a clean install of Windows 7 (64bit of course).

SurrealMustard
Sophomore Member

Solved my own problem

#2 Post by SurrealMustard » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:36 am

I figured it out! Turns out that it was as easy as connecting the monitor to the other DVi port ("video 2") on the dock. Now it comes up properly every time.