Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Weird Search Problem

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
taichi

Weird Search Problem

#1 Post by taichi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 am

Recently I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7, doing a clean install, and copying document folders from backups to the desktop. I was able to use search from the start menu, and find any of my documents normally. Then, suddenly, some documents that I was able to find only two days ago do not come up in a search. Parenthetically, I looked in the recycle bin to make sure that the missing documents had not inadvertently been deleted. They had not.

I did a rebuild of the indexing, and still no success. The only thing that I did in the interim, if memory serves correctly, was install OpenOffice 5.4.0. One other thing worth mentioning is that in some places online it is recommended to run the LibreOffice installer as administrator (the same is recommended for OpenOffice). I might have done so had right-click run as administrator been an option, but it was not as is sometimes occurring with msi installer packages
There is an automatic registry fix which would have added that option, and another complementary fix to remove the option from registry. I ran that by my local technician, but he insisted that LibreOffice did not need to be installed as administrator.

One other thing. In the indexing menu it shows that the local C Drive is included in indexing. Does this mean that the desktop is included as well?

I would appreciate any help/
Thanks

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Weird Search Problem

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:05 am

After using them, LibreOffice might have renamed those files to .ODT or something.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

taichi

#3 Post by taichi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks for the response, RBS.

LibreOffice by default saves to ODF, and when I checked in the indexing options, ODF was included.

One of the files that doesn't show up was a notepad file (TXT), and other notepad files show up just fine when I search.

Often, in the past, I would search by a keyword in a file, rather than by the file's name, and there was no problem. It worked the same way in Windows 7 until a couple of days ago.

taichi

#4 Post by taichi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 am

I did a search online, and found out that there have been a number of people who have experienced the same problem with Windows 7… missing files, missing folders, etc. in many cases Microsoft suggests rebuilding the indexing, which I've done twice with no effect. There is also a hot fix that is available upon submitting an email request to Microsoft.

Since I posted a few more files went missing. Doing some more research, I went into Windows Explorer, clicked on C: Drive, then Users, then Main User. There, under My Documents I found the more recently "disappeared" files, but not the earlier missing file that prompted this inquiry. The point is that even though these files are clearly on my computer, searching does not bring them up. Any ideas?

nikki605

#5 Post by nikki605 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:59 am

I had a similar sounding problem several years ago when I first got my Win7 x64 T410. After weeks of troubleshooting, it turned out to be a conflict with my antivirus software. If I remember correctly (5+ years ago) just turning off my a/v didn't help. I had to actually uninstall it to prove it was the problem. I ended up switching a/v products.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Here are some very old topics:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/274 ... 0&tstart=0

https://forum.bitdefender.com/index.php ... nder-2011/
Gary A.

lenovo: T490 (20N20028US) | i7-8565U | 16GB | 512GB SSD | FHD LED | WiFi 9560 | Bluetooth | Webcam | Win10 Pro x64 | Full System Specs

w0qj
ThinkPadder
ThinkPadder

#6 Post by w0qj » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:17 am

Or you can purchase a search program such as X1
www.x1.com
Been using this for many years; saves you a lot of time in locating your files!

(No, we do not work for X1 !)
Daily Driver: (X1E3) X1 Extreme 3rd Gen | mobile broadband (WWAN)
Current Thinkpads: X1E3 | X1E1 | X1C10 | X1C9 | X1C4 | X1C3 | X230
Retired Thinkpads: X250 | T410 | T42 | 560 (circa 1996)

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#7 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:45 am

Why pay for such a program (X1 Client), and get slapped with a service fee, when you can get a better one (Lookeen) for free?
X1 vs Lookeen: https://lookeen.com/solutions/alternati ... ative.html
Free download: https://free.lookeen.com/download.html

(I do not work for Lookeen)

Saucey

#8 Post by Saucey » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:19 pm

My dad's laptop had an issue with his computer constantly loading up a temporary user and it wouldn't have access to his original user files.
It loaded up with his name and stuff, but sometimes his original background wouldn't load up.
This would happen intermittently, it was most problematic whenever he had scanned a document and it wouldn't show up...
Not sure if this is what you are encountering, but it could be. link
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s