Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Resolving BSOD (STOP: 0x0000007B) after a motherboard/HD/SSD swap

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Resolving BSOD (STOP: 0x0000007B) after a motherboard/HD/SSD swap

#1 Post by RealBlackStuff » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:33 am

Just wanted to pass on this very effective treat of a STOP 7B error that I had recently.
I installed W7 from Lenovo recovery disks on a new SSD.
Installation went fine, but after the first reboot I got a BSOD with Stop 7B.
Tried everything, even installing afresh from a different recovery set, still that BSOD with Stop 7B.
Fixboot or Fixmbr didn't do squat, any HD-program didn't work either.

And then I found this:
https://tinyapps.org/blog/windows/20140 ... _swap.html
Download the VBS-file from the (local cache) link.
The downloaded 7z-file has a password, which can be found in their FAQ: https://tinyapps.org/faq.html
I ran that fix, took only a few seconds, and NO MORE BSOD.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, T480, M900 Tiny.

PS: the old Boardroom website is still available on the Wayback Machine

Toadywot

Re: Resolving BSOD (STOP: 0x0000007B) after a motherboard/HD/SSD swap

#2 Post by Toadywot » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 pm

Where did you download the VBS file to? I'm having the same problem with a T500.....it won't boot from the CD/DVD drive containing the installation disk and the HDD is new, so I can't boot into Windows and download the file you reference. The details:

Ihave two identical (except for user-added programs and files) ThinkPad T61s. One stopped working, so I pulled the hard drive from it and seated it into the second one. It booted right up, no problems whatsoever. I've interchanged the hard drives multiple times with no issues but feel it's only a matter of time before the constant switching damages one of the drives or the working laptop. I decided to purchase another ThinkPad to prevent that and found a T500 minus the hard drive. Given I could swap hard drives in and out on the T61, I stupidly assumed if I seated one of the T61 hard drives into the T500, it too would boot with no problem and I'd have two working ThinkPads once again. Unfortunately during the boot, the BSCD made an appearance. I ran System Repair but it could not fix the issue. I removed that drive and seated the second T61 hard drive into the T500 and the same thing happened.

The T61 and T500 are very close to identical, but I'm guessing that they use very different drivers. Hence the BSOD. I don't want to format the T61 drive, but prefer to be able to boot from the T61 hard drive with all the files and settings on it intact.

I thought perhaps I could download and install the T500 drivers onto the T61 hard drive, then try booting the T500 again. Or maybe download the drivers to a flash drive and install them through SETUP (F2 or F12) without the hard drive, then reseating the T61 hard drive and attempt booting from it again.

Another thing I've noticed is that the COA on the bottom of the T500 indicates "Lenovo Singapore". Could that be the problem? I was told I should have no problem booting the T500 from the T61 hard drive, but that's a crock!

I've tried connecting the T61 hard drive to a working PC with a SATA/IDE cable but that too failed. I tried that with every hard drive I have and none have worked. I thought of booting from a system image of the T61 but suspect that if it won't boot from the hard drive, it won't boot to a system image disc.

Is there any way possible I can boot the T500 from the T61 hard drive, keeping all my files, folders, and settings intact? Or should I bite the bullet and purchase a new blank hard drive and reinstall/transfer/migrate/move ALL the data, including Windows 7 Professional, on the T61 to the T500?

I have a backup and system image from an identical T500, but I don't have a Windows 7 Professional installation disk, which I understand is needed to perform a system recovery. The T500 I have is from a business and did not come with the original hard drive. Would I be able to clone the hard drive of the working unit I obtained the system image from to a new hard drive just to get the drivers and files needed for the unit to boot to Windows, then try replacing that new hard drive with the drive from my T61 after the necessary files and drivers are installed? Just a thought.

I hope I've been articulate and detailed in my post, and I'd be most grateful for any suggestions and/or advice/tips. Don't hesitate to request clarification of any statements here; I'm starting to get confused myself.....

I've tried four hard drives, all in working order, all free from viruses and malware, yet I get the same BSOD: 0x0000007b. I've also gotten "BOOTMGR IS MISSING" when a formatted hard drive was in the unit. I was given steps to change something in the BIOS, but the options referenced did not show on my unit as they did in the directions....I'm guessing those steps were for a model other than my ThinkPad T500.

I'm sure there's a simple fix for this, but for some reason I'm not seeing it. I'm not computer-illiterate....I'm fairly tech-savvy, but I'm no Bill Gates either. When it gets to the point I have to ask for help, I definitely need help!

shawross

#3 Post by shawross » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am

Sounds like this is caused by a MS tactic to encourage people to go to W10. How much would MS love to extinguish W7 new installs.
Active --- Love the X series
X301 W 7/Mint | X201 540M L Mint | X220 2520 W7/Mint

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#4 Post by dr_st » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 am

Toadywot wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:38 pm
Where did you download the VBS file to? I'm having the same problem with a T500.....it won't boot from the CD/DVD drive containing the installation disk and the HDD is new, so I can't boot into Windows and download the file you reference.
It says it right there:

Download cdob's fix_7hdc.vbs (local cache) and save to removable media
Boot to the Recovery Console (F8 > Repair Your Computer) or from a system repair/Windows 7 disc
Insert media containing fix_7hdc.vbs
Run cscript fix_7hdc.vbs /enable /search from the Command Prompt
Reboot
shawross wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:34 am
Sounds like this is caused by a MS tactic to encourage people to go to W10. How much would MS love to extinguish W7 new installs.
Sounds like you just said something remarkably dumb and irrelevant. Did you even bother to read what it's all about?
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#5 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:12 am

RealBlackStuff wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:33 am
Just wanted to pass on this very effective treat of a STOP 7B error that I had recently.
I installed W7 from Lenovo recovery disks on a new SSD.
Installation went fine, but after the first reboot I got a BSOD with Stop 7B.
Tried everything, even installing afresh from a different recovery set, still that BSOD with Stop 7B.
Fixboot or Fixmbr didn't do squat, any HD-program didn't work either.

And then I found this:
https://tinyapps.org/blog/windows/20140 ... _swap.html
Download the VBS-file from the (local cache) link.
The downloaded 7z-file has a password, which can be found in their FAQ: https://tinyapps.org/faq.html
I ran that fix, took only a few seconds, and NO MORE BSOD.
I gotta try this. This has got to be too good to be true. I'll try it on my X61s
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

#6 Post by RealBlackStuff » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:14 am

That fix worked a treat in my case.
Whether it allows HDDs/SSDs to be constantly swapped (as Toadywot intends) needs to be tested.
I don't do things like that (except only with known working(!) test-disks).

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#7 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:46 am

Same. I have a few drives I pop around to test machines but I Broke 5/6 of the images due to the 7B error. Thanks X61s :x !

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#8 Post by dr_st » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm

BTW, I once found a similar "all-in-one" fix in the form of a .reg file (where you just manually add it to the registry, without any scripts).
https://www.richud.com/wiki/Windows_XP_ ... 00007B_FIX

It says for XP, but I've used it successfully on Vista, and it probably works on any later version as well.
Thinkpad 25 (20K7), T490 (20N3), Yoga 14 (20FY), T430s (IPS FHD + Classic Keyboard), X220 4291-4BG
X61 7673-V2V, T60 2007-QPG, T42 2373-F7G, X32 (IPS Screen), A31p w/ Ultrabay Numpad

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by TPFanatic » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:12 pm

Might it be related to AHCI or IDE mode in the BIOS?

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#10 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:16 pm

No. Proven, 8 times(across 6 different machines)

dr_st
Admin
Admin

#11 Post by dr_st » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 am

Actually it is, because of Windows' bad default behavior.
  • If you install it in IDE mode, it enables the PCI IDE driver and none of the AHCI drivers.
  • If you install it in AHCI mode, it looks for the manufacturer's driver. If there is none, it enables the generic driver (MSAHCI). If there is one, it enables the manufacturer's driver, and disables MSAHCI. PCI IDE driver is disabled in either case.
As a result, if you take an OS that was installed in IDE mode, and move it to a AHCI-mode PC, it will break with 0x7B, but if you switch the PC to IDE, it should work.

However, if you take an OS that was installed in AHCI mode with a certain manufacturer driver, and move it to a PC that is also AHCI and needs a different driver, it will work neither in AHCI (because there is no driver, and MSAHCI is disabled), nor in IDE (because PCI IDE is disabled).

All these fixes do, as far as I know, is basically just forcing the PCI IDE, Intel IDE, and MSAHCI services to 'enabled' state, and registering them to all known SATA/IDE controllers.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#12 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:57 am

I don’t know, I’ve installed in both modes and swapped to computers of same or opposite. Sometimes good, sometimes not. My X61s bricks everything it touches.