Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Looking for a good firewall for W7 that lets me manually approve all outbound connections for web AND I can whitelist IP

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
fefrie

Looking for a good firewall for W7 that lets me manually approve all outbound connections for web AND I can whitelist IP

#1 Post by fefrie » Fri May 25, 2018 10:05 pm

he first one should be self explanatory. Everyone wants to know what apps are asking for web access and wants admin rights to block or allow said access.

The other one I want is the ability to whitelist local computers on my local network that talk to my computer.

I have internet on a shared router with my neighbour, so of course I want the ability for my computer to talk to my other computers, but I do not want my computers to talk to my neighbours computers.

I've tried windows firewall, and glasswire, and they do the first job 'ok' but the second job, they treat traffic to the local network as an all or nothing proposition.

I can block traffic protocols of other blacklisted computers talking to my computer, but that will also block my computers that I want to whitelist.

This interferes with issues like sharing folders, and remotedesktop connections.
IBM Thinkpad T23 1.13 2647-9LU 640MB Ram 40GB hard drive SOLD!
T42 SXGA 1.7 64mb xp

shawross

Re: Looking for a good firewall for W7 that lets me manually approve all outbound connections for web AND I can whitelis

#2 Post by shawross » Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 pm

If you have a few devices that you want to isolate maybe you could think about using another WIFI router as a repeater. I have seen WIFI routers go cheap at weekend markets. I suppose this depends on whether the existing router is an AC router.
Active --- Love the X series
X301 W 7/Mint | X201 540M L Mint | X220 2520 W7/Mint

Nostalgia
X61 T7500 / T41 T42 T43 / A31

Rogue daily driver - Samsung RV511 15.6 " Screen - W 7

USSS

Re: Looking for a good firewall for W7 that lets me manually approve all outbound connections for web AND I can whitelis

#3 Post by USSS » Sat May 26, 2018 10:56 am

Comodo Firewall (Free)
https://download.comodo.com/cis/downloa ... taller.exe

I have been using CFW for more than 10 years and it works well with my AV (Kaspersky).

SKA
Freshman Member

#4 Post by SKA » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:58 am

These links from Wilders security forums may help to configure Comodo Firewall with cruelsister's settings :

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads ... st-2763259

Ska