Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Automatic Update Loop on ThinkPad T540p

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
twusa93

Automatic Update Loop on ThinkPad T540p

#1 Post by twusa93 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:33 pm

I recently completed a reinstallation of Windows 7 Ultimate on my Lenovo ThinkPad T540p (bought it with Windows 8 / Downgrade Rights Option to 7). After getting the right drivers installed and connected to the internet through a wired ethernet port, it commenced with doing the download & installation of updates. After installing Service Pack 1, it continued to do updates - but landed on a batch of updates that choked the system - would download them, install them, and then during the reboot I would get a message saying: Configuring Windows Updates have failed. Rolling back changes.

This took several hours and it did this about 3-4 times. It finally stopped, however, instead of trying to download updates again, it's just refusing to even look for updates.

Searching online, I haven't been able to really find anything about this issue.

How can I get it to download the right updates & not get stuck in a constant rebooting loop like earlier?

Thanks
Lenovo ThinkPad T540p - Windows 7 Ultimate

TPFanatic
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

Re: Automatic Update Loop on ThinkPad T540p

#2 Post by TPFanatic » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:45 pm

Where you are now in the install process, I can't advise.

From a fresh install you need to install

This update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... server-200

Then this update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -2008-r2-s

That fixes the slow updates. I have these downloaded to a flash drive ready to deploy on any new Win 7 install I make.

twusa93

Re: Automatic Update Loop on ThinkPad T540p

#3 Post by twusa93 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:13 pm

Downloading those updates and attempting to install them gives me an error message that says these updates do not apply to my computer/configuration. The Windows Update section of Control Panel quits when trying to search for new updates, and gives the following error message: 800F0902 - Unknown Error

The last successfully installed update, as seen on the update logs is 3177467 - Servicing Stack Update.

Thanks for your help
Lenovo ThinkPad T540p - Windows 7 Ultimate