Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Can I clone Win7 to another box & use a 2nd key to activate?

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
AMATX

Can I clone Win7 to another box & use a 2nd key to activate?

#1 Post by AMATX » Sun May 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Running Win 7 Pro 64 bit on a W700 laptop...

Considering buying another W700 and would like to clone my existing Win 7 to it, so as to keep both laptops as similar as possible(I'd change the name on the 2nd, but software would be exactly the same). The new W700 would arrive to me having Vista at a similar or higher level version on it.

SO, can I just buy a Win7 Pro 64 bit upgrade, skip the upgrade, clone my existing setup to the new W700 and use the upgrade key to activate it, in a legit manner?

I'd rather not mess with having to customize a 2nd W700, as it's a PIA and I'm not likely to get it setup just like the first anyway(too many variables).

visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Can I clone Win7 to another box & use a 2nd key to activate?

#2 Post by visionviper » Mon May 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Yes, assuming the key you are planning to use works for the edition of Windows you are cloning. Just go to the system page and click the link that says "Change product key".
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

AMATX

#3 Post by AMATX » Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 pm

B-I-N-G-O, we have a winner :D

Just as I suspected; thanks for the quick reply...

sojourner

#4 Post by sojourner » Mon May 24, 2010 7:32 am

AMATX, I'm curious, after you 'clone' the two are you planning to keep them synchronized, as in always having two identical laptops (i.e. one for backup)?

If so I wonder how you'd keep them syncronized being there would be two different product keys!

I have two T41's I keep synchronized with various operating systems (XP doesn't balk because of them being IBM distributions and the lappies having COA's) but with Win7 haven't figured how it can be done!

Any ideas?
IBM Thinkpad T41 Home | X31 Travel | X60 fun
2GHz Dothan (X60 C2D, X31 1.7 Banias), 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, DVD Multi-Burner, IBM 11b/g, Bluetooth II, Docks
multi-boot (98SE, W2K, XP PRO, Win7, Linux Mint 10)

AMATX

#5 Post by AMATX » Mon May 24, 2010 9:48 am

Interesting questions, to which I don't yet have exact answers(!)

I'm coming at this from a WinXP environment, no keys necessary, which made it easy to synch up boxes and use one setup on another, if needed.

Haven't thought too much(yet) about the new setup with a W700 + Win7 box, as I'm waiting(patiently, so far), for a steal of a deal on just the right config'd W700.

What I've done in the past and will probably continue here is to have a common base software platform(with separate keys), combined with some minor software addons that'll be separate from the C: partition. This should allow swapping C: partitions, if needed.

For example, use the same basic Firefox platform, but keep separate bookmarks on the D: partition. This way, I can setup either version on either box.

My W700 runs a specific platform for some tasks I use, so that'll be no problem dup'ing on the 2nd box. Addons(that will drift away from each other over time) are not that many, so should be manageable.

No games, exotic apps, etc.

I keep extensive backups, so not worried much about blowing out a C: partition, as I can restore the most current checkpoint.

My main reason for asking the original question is that I put in a LOT of time and EFFORT learning enough about the WinXP - Win7 diffs that I don't wanna go through all of that again. I don't have exact doc on all of what I did, as I mainly piddled around and plowed onwards, fixing each issue as I found it. Therefore, if I can migrate this basic Win7 platform to other boxes(with separate keys), that'll save me a lot of time.

Too bad Windows doesn't have some sort of 'status/checkpoint' feature that'll dump ALL of one's config changes into a flat file for usage on another box. BUT, that'd be way too easy, wouldn't it?? :)

Not much of an answer, but that's where I'm at right now...

GomJabbar

#6 Post by GomJabbar » Mon May 24, 2010 9:54 am

AMATX wrote:Too bad Windows doesn't have some sort of 'status/checkpoint' feature that'll dump ALL of one's config changes into a flat file for usage on another box. BUT, that'd be way too easy, wouldn't it?? :)
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... r-computer
DKB

AMATX

#7 Post by AMATX » Mon May 24, 2010 11:10 am

Guess I should have been more specific - I was referring to transferring Win7 config info itself, not so much programs & program settings. The basic desktop and user interface has changed a lot from WinXP to Win7, and I had to go through it piece by piece to see what I wanted, didn't want, and wanted but had to modify.

I also have some multi-monitor settings in place that took a while to figure out. Other software related items are not a biggie, as my stuff is fairly easy to update or re-install.

So. cloning is what I see as my most viable option...