Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Win 7 64 Bit - SSD vs HDD

Windows 7 on ThinkPads
epu
Sophomore Member

Win 7 64 Bit - SSD vs HDD

#1 Post by epu » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Dumb question. Obviously using an SSD would be the best choice. Question is, how does App load and Comp shut down time compare to XP on a Thinkpad? I will be using an X200 Tablet.

visionviper
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Win 7 64 Bit - SSD vs HDD

#2 Post by visionviper » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Are you asking for Windows 7 vs Windows XP?
7mm SSD list
Guide to fixing T4x GPU problems via reflow

Current: T420s
Former: X301, X61t, T40

ZaZ

#3 Post by ZaZ » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:23 pm

You might want to look at the Momentus XT. It's a platter based drive with a 4GB flash drive attached, which speed up boot times and common application load times. Kind of the best of both both worlds. The only thing about the X series is they're so small they're so small they don't shield much noise in my experience.
ProBook 470 G3

epu
Sophomore Member

#4 Post by epu » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:37 am

Yes, and in general. I saw those flash/HDD hybrids, and they have made me curious. I have an Express Card SSD, and was JUST ABOUT to purchase an SSD as my C: drive, and then read about failure rates (lots of horror stories). I've had hard drives run four-five years w/o issue. Working w/SSDs though, once you experience them, you don't want to go back. So the question is, how are load times in general in Win 7 on an HDD.

ashleys

#5 Post by ashleys » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:48 am

If you're asking about comparing XP and W7 on the same machine with the same HDD, then I've found W7 to be noticeably faster for boot/shutdown. Program loading seemed comparable with W7 being slightly faster.
This was on both a T60 and T30 with WD Scorpios (250GB black and blue respectively).

chongyixiong

#6 Post by chongyixiong » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:14 am

You might want to look at the Momentus XT. It's a platter based drive with a 4GB flash drive attached, which speed up boot times and common application load times. Kind of the best of both both worlds. The only thing about the X series is they're so small they're so small they don't shield much noise in my experience.
Have they managed to release the firmware that was supposed to work on the X20x/X30x without failure under Windows 7? (When users press the TVT blue button)

Lenovo seems to have fixed it on their end but I am not sure about Seagate's side.

On a side note, would you recommend the Seagate Momentus XT over an Intel 80GB G2 drive (planning to replace mine)? A youtube comment seem to say that the Momentus XTs cause decreased battery life, more seeking noises and generally more vibrations as compared to the standard 5400rpm drive.

Thanks!
X200-AFFS: P8600/8GB/Intel X25-M 80GB Gen. 2/Intel Wifi 5300AGN/2 6-cell battery/BoeHydis Flexview AFFS WXGA (Matte)

ZaZ

#7 Post by ZaZ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:37 am

Honestly, once I went SSD, there's no going back to a platter drive. More than the performance, the SSD is so quiet, from heat/noise standpoint, it's almost like the machine isn't even on. I've had 4 or 5 platter based drives, including the Hitachi 5k500 in my X200, which is supposed to be very quiet. Every one of them made noticeable amounts of noise. Perhaps my tolerance levels have changed since going SSD. I got a 1TB external if I need to access to my stuff.
ProBook 470 G3