Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Okay to post / debate politics here?

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Iron-Merc

Okay to post / debate politics here?

#1 Post by Iron-Merc » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:57 pm

Hi

I want to start a thread comparing liberal vs conservative values and left vs right wing politics.

Seeing as how the election is not to far off, I wanted to get some feedback from members here on their own political ideologies.

Just thought I would ask first before opening a can of worms lol
Thinkpad T480
Thinkpad R61

ajkula66
SuperUserGeorge
SuperUserGeorge

Re: Okay to post / debate politics here?

#2 Post by ajkula66 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm

The short answer is NO it's not OK.

In general, we don't discuss politics here although some views will sneak into off-topic threads BUT what you had in mind would probably not survive for 24 hours on the forum.

There are plenty of places to discuss politics in all shapes and forms, all over the web. This is not one of them.
...Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules...(King Crimson)

Cheers,

George (your grouchy retired FlexView farmer)

One FlexView to rule them all: A31p

Abused daily: T520, X200s

PMs requesting personal tech support will be ignored.

Thinkpad4by3
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#3 Post by Thinkpad4by3 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:30 pm

ajkula66 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:12 pm
The short answer is NO it's not OK.

In general, we don't discuss politics here although some views will sneak into off-topic threads BUT what you had in mind would probably not survive for 24 hours on the forum.

There are plenty of places to discuss politics in all shapes and forms, all over the web. This is not one of them.
Nailed it on the head, ajkula66! :thumbs-UP:

Outside of maybe 4:3 vs 16:10, there's basically no politics on here.
Thinkpad4by3's Law of the Universe.

The efficiency of two screens equally sized with equal numbers if pixels are equal. The time spent by a 4:3 user complaining about 16:9 is proportional to the inefficiency working with a 16:9 display, therefore the amount of useful work extracted is equal.

BillMorrow
*Senior* Admin
*Senior* Admin

#4 Post by BillMorrow » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:26 am

Iron-Merc wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:57 pm
Hi

I want to start a thread comparing liberal vs conservative values and left vs right wing politics.

Seeing as how the election is not to far off, I wanted to get some feedback from members here on their own political ideologies.

Just thought I would ask first before opening a can of worms lol
there IS a place here for such things as current day politics.. and off topic is IT..
all is OK as long as a civil discussion is undertaken.. and statements of fact should have footnotes.. :)
so go ahead, lets see how far it will go before it gets shut down..
meanwhile, iron-merc, please correct your location to a city and state, OK..? :)
Bill Morrow, kept by parrots :parrot: & cockatoos
Sysop - forum.thinkpads.com

She was not what you would call refined,
She was not what you would call unrefined,
She was the type of person who kept a parrot.
~~~Mark Twain~~~

mortimer

#5 Post by mortimer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Im not a mod but given that there is a 16 page thread on the EU I would assume yes this is exactly the place for politics.
I cant help but wonder how you expect a thread to turn out when you admit yourself the whole point is "right wingers vs left wingers"
This kind of non topic aligned thread seems like a bad idea to me.
14" T60 4:3, T61 Mobo (X3100 Intel GMA) C2E X9000, 8Gb PC2-6400.
T430s, FHD Mod, Classic Keyboard swap, Ultrabay battery.

Saucey

#6 Post by Saucey » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:48 pm

I feel that it would be a bad thing if we talk about politics here on the ThinkPad forums. First off this website isn't for politics, its for ThinkPad repairs, mods & news. Politics wise, the only topics I could see us speaking about related to IBM, Lenovo, ThinkPads or computers in general is if/when these manufactures push a bill or advertisement. Like how Apple supposedly went to fight for the Right of Repair, or if Lenovo was secretly pooling information from its users with the Superfish program.

Given this climate of information age, even people who don't talk about politics, they will get pursued for talking or knowing someone who is "outspoken" or "pure evil". Occasionally I'd come across to a political post, but it looks to be its written by someone who is directly affected by it, other than just wanting to talk about it. We could talk about it civilly, but honestly I don't want to add fuel to the fires to it, my political opinion isn't needed here... unless it was a bill to bring back the 7 row keyboard. :)
Coffee, ThinkPads & Nikon Fan.

Current: PixelBook & Precision 7730
Old Favorites: A31p, T43p, T430s