Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Looking for an 7-8" tablet

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
Jake.Werecat
Sophomore Member

Looking for an 7-8" tablet

#1 Post by Jake.Werecat » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:26 pm

Hey guys,
I'm in a need for a small decent tablet for air-navigation purpose. 7 or 8 inch maximum. It has to run Android and it would be nice for it to have a USB-C (I already almost forgot that microUSB ever existed, and would like to keep it that way).
I'm not much into tablets, but for me it doesn't sound like anything super special, but it appears that it is really hard to find anything matching that requirements.
Again I don't need it to be super fancy, but most 7" tablets appears to have super [censored] hardware. 2GB of ram in 2022? For real? My 3 years old phone has 6GB...
I'd highly appreciate any hints or suggestions how to find one...unless it's a total unobtainium. And if so... why?
T470, M73 Tiny

jdk

Re: Looking for an 7-8" tablet

#2 Post by jdk » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:02 pm

The Android tablet market is pretty sparse.

You are looking at Samsung and maybe Amazon Kindle.

Google let the Android tablet market die half a decade ago. They will try to kickstart the Android tablet market a third time with Android 13 starting in 2023, but that's a way off and there's no guarantee it takes off.

The iPad Mini 6 is probably your best bet. It also has USB-C and will get security updates for half a decade.
--
P71 Desktop (OpenBSD)
X280 Laptop (Debian)

Jake.Werecat
Sophomore Member

#3 Post by Jake.Werecat » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:20 am

Hmmm, tablets were never quite my thing, as they're not very convenient for anything in my opinion; the only reason I need one is for aircraft navigation, mobile phone has to small screen, and fitting a laptop in a cockpit is virtually impossible; but I never considered android tablets dead,I though they're quite in fashion theses days... are they not?
Apple is an absolute no go. For multiple reasons. Samsung I'd like, but I see no 7" models from them...
T470, M73 Tiny

jdk

#4 Post by jdk » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:16 am

Jake.Werecat wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:20 am
Hmmm, tablets were never quite my thing, as they're not very convenient for anything in my opinion; the only reason I need one is for aircraft navigation, mobile phone has to small screen, and fitting a laptop in a cockpit is virtually impossible; but I never considered android tablets dead,I though they're quite in fashion theses days... are they not?
Apple is an absolute no go. For multiple reasons. Samsung I'd like, but I see no 7" models from them...
iPads are popular, but Android tablets have been an abandoned market for half a decade now. Google will be starting a new effort to explore the market soon with Android 13, but the Pixel-brand tablet is a 2023 thing. When people talk about the tablet market, they are exclusively talking about iPads. Not Surfaces, not Kindles, Samsung or whatever.

The Android tablet market the past few years has been just cheap mainland tablets with zero software support or security updates, and Google Play support if you're lucky; Kindles for obvious reasons; Samsung because they can throw that kind of money, and that's about it.

Samsung has the A7 Lite in 8.7" which is probably your best bet. Their tablet ecosystem is probably the most refined in the Android world, mostly out of the "we don't want you to try the Apple ecosystem" mindset over actually wanting a pleasant experience. Android applications still do not scale up well. If LineageOS is a must, the A6 lite from 2019-2020 is the most recent version supported.
--
P71 Desktop (OpenBSD)
X280 Laptop (Debian)

Jake.Werecat
Sophomore Member

#5 Post by Jake.Werecat » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:18 am

Huh. Here in Europe Apple definitely is a thing, but is absolutely less popular then in US. There are WAAAY more brand new tablets with Android then with iOS sold. Here's a screenshot from a local online shop (allegro.pl) :
"Pozostale" means "Others".

Thanks for advice, Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 seems to be an option indeed. It's physical size is within my limits (not bigger then A5 paper sheet), it has USB C and it's made by recognizable brand. The only thing is poor CPU and only 3GB RAM... That's almost hilarious for a brand new device. Android version and updates don't bother me at all, I still use Blackberry mobile phone on Android 8.1 Oreo ;)
T470, M73 Tiny

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#6 Post by pianowizard » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am

In general I am a big fan of Samsung's Android tablets, but I have played with the Tab A7 Lite and it has two major flaws: performance feels sluggish, and the screen resolution of 800x1340 is way too low for 8.7" -- the individual pixels are easy to discern.

Why don't you use this search engine to look for tablets that meet your criteria: https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3?mode=tablet
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

Jake.Werecat
Sophomore Member

#7 Post by Jake.Werecat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:55 am

Wow! Thanks, this website is gorgeous! Though search results... not so much. It appears that there is only one <8.4" tablets with >4GB RAM and Android - Huawei MediaPad M6 8.4
And it seems to be the ideal choice.... but it's nowhere to be bought. So we're basicaly back to Samsung A7 lite. What a weird situation.
T470, M73 Tiny

Jake.Werecat
Sophomore Member

#8 Post by Jake.Werecat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:39 pm

Or Lenovo TAB4 8 Plus. Up to 4GB RAM and Snapdragon 625. And I think I'll go for it...
T470, M73 Tiny

pianowizard
Senior ThinkPadder
Senior ThinkPadder

#9 Post by pianowizard » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:18 am

I am reasonably happy with my Samsung Tab A 8.0 (2019) and recommend you consider it: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy ... )-9651.php

Specifically, I own the SM-P205 version (not officially sold in the US but available in Asia and probably Europe) which doubles as a phone. I need my phone to be as large as possible and since 2015 I have been using Samsung's 8-inch tablets as phones, because even the biggest smartphones are too small for me. First I had the Samsung Tab S (SM-T705) with 8.4" 1600x2560, and then the Samsung Tab S2 (SM-T715) with 8.0" 1536x2048, both of them non-US models because the US models lack phone functionality. I love the Tab S2 but it wouldn't work for you as it uses microUSB. I bought the Tab A 8.0 (SM-P205) to replace the Tab S2 once my phone carrier phases out 3G, since the former has voLTE while the latter does not.
Dell Latitude 7370 (QHD+, 2.84lb); HP Pavilion x2 12-b096ms (1920x1280, 3.14lb); Microsoft Surface 3 (1920x1280, 2.00lb);
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF (Core i5-6600); Acer ET322QK, T272HUL; Crossover 404K; QNIX QHD2410R; Seiki Pro SM40UNP

Jake.Werecat
Sophomore Member

#10 Post by Jake.Werecat » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:18 pm

Huh... I'm the complete opposite. I cannot understand how nowadays smartphones have grown to such enormous size, and I have really difficulty finding a small one... I use Blackberry KeyOne daily, to which I got used to, but I still find it big (too big actually).
As for tablets - 8" is just the perfect size - it's more or less an A5 paper size, so can be easily fit into a kneeboard.
I went for Lenovo Tab4 8. It has 4GB RAM, a newer Snapdragon 625 CPU, it has USB-C, no glass on a back side (hate those glassy backs) and they make them black! So it's almost a perfect fit. And it's the best hardware specs that exist among 8" Android tablets. Thank you guys for all advice. It was that website pianowizard suggested that helped me find it. :)
I just made a purchase, it should be home next week.
T470, M73 Tiny