Take a look at our
ThinkPads.com HOME PAGE
For those who might want to contribute to the blog, start here: Editors Alley Topic
Then contact Bill with a Private Message

Upgrade to W10

Talk about "WhatEVER !"..
jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Upgrade to W10

#1 Post by jronald » Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:50 pm

I call myself searching, but did not find anything:
Last three weeks I have tried to Upgrade to W10 from W7, in three difference instances, and had significant issue with each.
#1 Clean/New factory reinstall (4 DVD's) of Windows 7, download the Media Creation Tool, click on it and Error x0072F8F-*****
#2 Clean/New install using the SLIC method, download the Media Creation Tool, click on it and Error x0072F8F-*****
#3 Clean/New install using the Microsoft Authorized Key, download the Media Creation Tool, click on it and Error x0072F8F-*****

What gives? I have also just loaded W10 and tried multiple GOOD keys, get the error.

Thanks
Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's

RealBlackStuff
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Upgrade to W10

#2 Post by RealBlackStuff » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:28 am

For 1/2/3: https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/medi ... f-0x20000/

For within W10, try:
Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter. This will open Command Prompt as Administrator. In the Command Prompt, enter slmgr /rearm command and press the Enter key. If you get a success message, restart the PC to apply changes.
Lovely day for a Guinness! (The Real Black Stuff)
Lenovo: X240, X250, T440p, M900 Tiny (all with W7/SP1 and NO updates since 2018), T480 (on its way).

jronald
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Upgrade to W10

#3 Post by jronald » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:40 am

Like all of the others, the 8 month old Thumbdrive, instantly (well sort of) upgraded this last install, as well as the others. Something has changed over the last several months. I have not done thousands of these upgrades but Im pushing 100, and have ALWAYS clicked on the on-line link and gone ahead. Weird.

Ron
I see in my son's eyes, each day, the wonders I have squandered fortunes to possess and have sought my entire lifetime to attain. jrr 09/2011

T400's and T500's